Who Needs a Winch!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No joke I have a 4WD Action DVD of Roothy demonstrating that exact technique on one of the old recovery specials, he explains that when he was a young bloke working BLAH BLAH some od guy he worked with actually did that to get the work TRUCK out of trouble and he has used it him self a couple of times since (apparently)

That's pretty incredible really. Those 3 blokes didn't seem to be working too hard and the car seemed to come out quite easily

Nice bit of work there -- but what did they do with the bodies. Surely there were bodies!!!

That rope is attached to the back of the vehicle even before the timber is put in place. I'm wondering if it's a demonstration???

Still got vodka cans rattling around in it - you'd think they'd clean it out for a demo!

Where do you find a frozen lake in Australia to sink your car into it and try this kind of recovery?

I think you could try this at Arthur's Lake in Tas in about a month's time.

Not sure how well it freezes up, but it's high up in Tas and by the looks of the nearby town of Wilburville that we passed through, snow is very common up there.

In Australia, for a pivot, you'd need to dig a back sloping hole in the ground and drop a post in it. That hard part is finding a straight trunk of that length to act as the lever and being Aussie wood it is going to be as heavy as anything.

There is also going to be a bit of friction between pivot trunk and the soil. so a lot more work required. Ice is easy as the friction melts it a bit and lubricates the trunk in the ice hole.

Was that wire rope? If it was sisal/hemp, it looked a bit thin to me for using in Australia. I'd expect a lot more strain on any rope in soil.

The other thing to keep in mind is that timber frame is like a sled, but also acts as a big lever to lift the car ouyt of the ice pit. I'd hate to think how much weight there would be in a few lenght of 4x4 in aussie wood.

My 2c is nice exercise, but if you are going to carry that much rope, then it doesn't take much extra to carry a couple of double/triple blocks(pulleys) to make a 4:1 or 6:1 block and tackle system. the hard part these days is finding sizeable blocks(pulleyies).

Latest posts

Back