Upgrading alternator or no use?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray_215

Reaction score
Hey guys. Im about to do a heap more mods to the nav tomoroow. Ill be measuring for my canvas canopy. Measuring for my drawers. And doing a heap of elecy work. Now i was just wondering about the alternator capacity of a d40 st. When its all done and dusted i will be running an engel fridge (57L or
Bigger) a 40" led bar on top and atleast 2 maybe 4 55w hid xgts. Plus the headlights. Which will either be the 55w hids i have at the moment. Or i will get some projectors with just white bulbs. Anyway. When im out bush and i turn on the christmas tree, i was wondering if it would cope with it or worth upgrading. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers ray.

The D40 alternator puts out a fair amount of current, 120A if I recall correctly (might be 130A).

You probably won't use all of those lights for an extended period of time while idling. The alternator doesn't produce enough power to run much more than the stock car at idle, it depends on you getting some revs.

So as long as you're not sitting in a paddock at idle (or worse, engine off) for hours with everything switched on, there shouldn't be a problem with the stock alternator.

Wow 120+ thats sweet as. I was looking at the old mans gu and it said 100. I just figured the new d40s would be that or less. But thats really good. I cant eait to get it all sorted out and start going on some trips with you guys. Thanks heaps tony. Muchly appreciated :). Ray

I checked the manual. The D40 diesel has a 130A alternator and the petrol has a 110A unit.

That doesn't mean it will deliver that amount of power. Here's the test table in the Service Data and Specifications section of SC.pdf (Starter/Charger):

At 1300rpm: more than 33A
At 2500rpm: more than 105A
At 5000rpm: more than 122A

Latest posts

Back