Hello world, moved so not to hijack.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aravan

Reaction score
Greetings all,

Have owned a 1999 D22 3.2L diesel twin cab since it had 18000 clicks on the clock. Has still only done just over 100,000 K's so should just about be run in. Hav used it a bit in the bush and camping. was hoping to upgrade to a new ute, but with this wonderful economy, and now a self funded retiree, Im going to have to make do with it for a bit longer. (don't get me rwong - I luv the ute, and being manual and mechanical injection, not too much too go wrong.)

I don't know if this is the right forum for helping me set it up for off road camping ... anyway first question: Has anybody set up drawers in the tub themselves, rather than paying the outlandish prices they ask? I'm looking for some good slides cos I will build my own drawers.

Have just (today) put a canvas sliding canopy on the back, so now we have a lot more room, and wont be needing to pull a trailer. Am looking at doing these mods>...

Fit a long range fuel tank to replace the pathetic 55L unit - any recommendations?

Fit two Boab 50 L water tanks (one for drinking water, and one for any old water) at the front of the tub (the WTP50V plastic units) - anybody used them?

Fit a solar panel to run the fridge and charge the battery when we are not travelling every day - looking at a 100 - 130 W unit to fit on the roof. Cheap Chinese unit?

Fit a turbo (and if finances allow, a cooler) so that finally, I may be able to actually overtake someone one day:)

Do whatever has to be done to the suspension to cope with the expected load, and to cope with miles and miles of dirt corrugated roads.

Fit a snorkel just in case it is as wet up north when we get there as it is now!!

OK, thats enuff for the first post. Cheers for now,

G'day mate.

Moved your post so it gets its own attention.

I have a 125L TJM tank in my STR. Recommend it highly.

A couple of guys have made there own drawers, I dont need em so I haven't bothered.

Turbo it, wil make the car much more drivable and safer. However, add a intercooler and get some gauges to keep and eye on things. EGT and boost gauges.

No idea on water tanks, a couple of other guys should be able to help.

A snorkel is definetly worth while, $6000 plus for a rebuild. Snorkels cheaper.

I am running Bilstiens and they handle corrugations fine, not cheap but worth it.

Not sure on the rest but I am sure some of the other guys can help.

Have a good look around and enjoy your stay.

Dave.

Welcome to the forums, the hardened nav vets should have you sorted out fairly soon

Thanks guys for your replys.

Dave, I checked out Chartrocks posting just after i joined and that was exactly the sort of info I was looking for re drawers - awesome what he did ...

Thanks for your other info. Are you aware of any downside of fitting a turbo to my old girl?

Peter

might want to get a compression test before fitting the turbo.

1 suggestion if you're looking at a long range tank and doing off roads, I've got 1 can't tell you what brand because the people I bought it off didn't even know it had 1...it's roughly about 120-125 liters but it sits lower than the chassis and there is no bash plate around it. I haven't done any major off road work yet but I'm very conscious that it's there and vulnerable, so thought i'd make mention if a LRT is something you're considering with going off road camping etc make sure it's got some protection.

My TJM tank has met the ground before. Marked it but didn't puncture it.

RE the turbo, compression test first and max boost of 10 psi. Intercool it aswell.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back