turbo wissle over 3000rpm.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamp

Reaction score
when i put me foot down and rev it to about 3500rpm. after about 3000rpm i get a real loud wissle noise. ive had the d22 zd30 for about 6 months is always done it since ive had it. it only had 90ks on it now its got 105ks on im guessing its normal sound but i was just wondering if anyone dus the same thing.
other than that it sound pritty normal to me.

Tell us a bit more about the Nav. Do you have a snorkel, chip, bigger exhaust or any mods like that?

ive been through the search and looked a al the turbo thread do to with turbo "issues".
but none seem to help me out.
i just thought it could be wen the turbo hits high boost it dus it but i dont no. im just wondering if anyway elc dus the same thing?

First check all the plumbing off the compressor side and make sure it's tight. If so next I would take the inlet air pipe off and take a look inside see if all the little vanes all look the same. Even if one is ever so slightly bent as the turbo spools up it will be cutting the air at a different angle to the rest and giving you that whistling sound.

Last edited:
Would that mean my turbo is stuffed?
I took a vid on my fone on the way to work this morning I'm post UP

Last edited:
In addition to Tappet's suggestions above, check all the gaskets associated with the intake to the engine (manifold, throtle body etc), including the egr control valve and pipe work.

Last edited:
I've had a ruff look at the intake pipes after the turbo. They look ok but there r stock hoses tho.

I pulled the intake pipe off the front of the turbo to see if I could tel if there was any play but there its a metal elbow type thing thats on the front of the turbo that the rubber pipe fits on to. It's got I think 3 bolt on it. I was gunna in bolt it but I didn't no if I needed to buy a new gasket if it has one or put gasket stuff on it.
Would same one tell me if there's has that same thing and tel me if its ok to take off

adamp said:
I pulled the intake pipe off the front of the turbo to see if I could tel if there was any play but there its a metal elbow type thing thats on the front of the turbo that the rubber pipe fits on to. It's got I think 3 bolt on it. I was gunna in bolt it but I didn't no if I needed to buy a new gasket if it has one or put gasket stuff on it.
Would same one tell me if there's has that same thing and tel me if its ok to take off

You can unbolt that mate you won't require a new gasket that's fine to remove for inspection

had a look at the vid.
sounds normal, in fact i can barely hear the turbo noise over the combustion noise.
they all whistle over 3k as egr butterfly is off and turbo is full on.

Sounds tough, couldnt really hear the whistle tho. You sure its standard? Wish mine sounded that crisp... Unless maybe a manifold leak? Would that give more combustion noise and turbo whistle?

well that makes me feel heaps beta. i wasnt quiet sure if it was normal or not. once i got home from work i unbolted the in take a had a look in there. all the fines and and housing looks fine. no chips or pitting.
it only seemed to have about 1mm play. i hope thats with in the tollerance?
since ive had it i allway try and let it cool down. im about to jump on ebay and buy my self a boggard turbo timer

i did fine while i was looking arund under the bonnet last nite that the hose that gose into the intake at the top og the engine had started to come a part. where the hose clamp when on its like the hose clamp has cut the exese off and its just hanging there so i thought it might be time this wk end for some new one. is the blue coloured ones fine that they sell in super cheap or is there beta ones than that?
thanx for al ur help and feed back

Latest posts

Back