Turbo Failure

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unfortunately you not going to be able to prevent flaws in the turbo itself. thats just one of those things.
however other faults can be prevented. letting turbo cool down is the big one with these. running good oil and changing oil/filters regulatory.
another risk is diesel leak in the spill tube which leaks into the engine oil. turbo letting go is often the first sign.

intercooler certainly helps in several ways. catch broken bits but also the cooling helps with egt's and better combustion means cleaner exhaust, less fouling of turbine and cat.

disabling butterfly valve should also help by eliminating the sudden slow down when the butterfly closes. unfortunately blocking egr means turbo is used at higher rpm's more which can mean extra wear. tho i;m happy to trade a small bit of turbo wear for engine wear any time.

Just a note on that spill tube and diesel leak, if you ever take it out, make sure you have a really good torque wrench. The copper washers/gaskets and pissy sized bolts are an absolute PITA. Anyone who has done it will know what I mean. make sure they are torqued correctly as a leak could happen as tweak says.

exhaust spits out white smoke while driving, normal engine temps, egt's, no error codes. after a minute by the roadside assesing the situation i hear a lloud rattle so i immediately turn off the engine. oil lo indicator on, so i just had it flatbed to the dealer...
DSC01044.jpg
[/IMG]
navara d40 with 75,000 km

Looks like a good thing that you shut it down fast. That looks like the compressor wheel's nut has come off and it also looks like the compressor blades have rubbed hard against the housing - that'd be loose or failed bearings.

I think I'll pop my intake off every now and again and check that nut's on tight.

Is it going to be fixed under warranty? I can't imagine why it wouldn't be.

every dealer mechanic i've talked to says it should be replaced under warranty but nissan sure is taking an agonizingly long time to get it approved!

If they are a Garrett turbo, perhaps there is a replacement compressor wheel available?

I gather that the standard wheel, may be ceramic, or sintered powder metal, which can let go. (Toyota ones do it when under higher boost levels). My thinking would be to replace it with a steel comp wheel.

I would say the fact that these ZD 30's run high boost, coupled with the butterfly, would cause some pretty bad pressure reversions when the throttle snaps shut.

I guess I'll be doing the EGR/Butterfly valve mod very soon!

Another thing may be change that retaining nut to a Kone-Lok or K-Nut type, with superior locking properties.......

Cheers,

Pat

A steel compressor would give the thing a lot of momentum. It would also take longer to spool up, so there'd be additional lag. I'd hate it - the turbo would be overboosting when you took your foot off the gas as well. Yuck yuck yuck.

lucky thing my dealer decided to replace my turbo unit - out of "goodwill". i kept pestering them for the technical report as to why the turbo got killed, and after initially turning down my warranty, they decided to replace it rather than tell me the tech report results.

someone from devil's own alcohol injection told me i should put in a manual boost controller as insurance for me overboosting. but i think the only way that nut is going to come off is if the wheel decides to spin in reverse. i'll be going to the butterfly thread now...

a boost controller (eg dawes valve) can help with overboosting but D40's are not known to overboost.
also theres no butterfly on the D40's. the D22's has that problem.

:confused:I have a turbo that has a loud whistle above 3k. I have replaced the two rubber air intake hoses, Noise still there pulled turbo out slight movement on shaft no other signs of wear. Purchased ebay turbo, I stuff up and received a ZD30 patrol turbo and not a ZD30 navara derr!!. now seller won't take it back. The main issue is this, The new turbo has more movement on the shaft than my old noisy one now I'am confused??? The way I see the bearing setup on these Hitachi turbo's is that they do have movement like a floating centre they seam to have a few thou gap, unsure !!!. Back to the loud whistle has anyone got any idea's or solutions with this one!! COOLA62

Thanks Dav I have just read the thread D22-EGR/butterfly etc. from page 1-23 I'm going to put turbo back in (old one) and do mods, check piping ect. COOLA

Thanks fella's

Thanks everyone i've fixed the whistle, the poor performance and the engine shut down issues, it was a small hole in the egr pipe gasket. Now i looked everywhere but behind this pipe (check pics), i noticed soot on the injector pipes used mirrors/lights to spot hole. Anyway blocked egr both ends refitted original turbo and a 200% improvement. My str.nav. Has only done 69k and i think it's a bit young to have too many issues just yet.
I would like to thank dav and tweak'e without their wealth of knowledge i could see a nissan dealer making a few bucks of me.
By the way the two small rubber hoses between the turbo and air intake port the nissan dealer wanted $124 for each of thes hoses (not fitted) i purchased the two for $12.65 local auto shop???? :wash_truck:

THANKS AGAIN FELLA'S
COOLA:rock:
location.jpg

muck 1.jpg

gasket blown.jpg

Back