Trans gear slip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CR12NavD40

Reaction score
Hey,

So, first and foremost, I live in Costa Rica, I drive a 2012 Navara D40 as my daily.

My family and I did a trip today. At one point, I was turning around and as I move forward from a dead stop, I heard an audible clunk from 1st to 2nd (it reminded me of an old GMC Seirra with a bad trans). Anyways, I drove about 500m from that location and when to complete another turn when the truck wouldn't shift to reverse, just coasted forward. I ended up driving over some grass. At this point, the truck wouldn't shift. I ended up stopping, turning it off for about 30 seconds and driving away without the same issue for another 10 to 15 minutes, which then I turned off and on again.

We ended our trip early and drove the 150km home without issue after this.

I find this utterly confusing and can only think that it might be the position sensor is about to give up the ghost. I've had some electrical gremlins in this truck, only to sort themselves out later.

I'm not up to date on these factory sealed transmissions and I'm not about to go to a dealship to mess with it when I am capable of doing it myself. I'll also point out that there are no lights on the dash.

Thoughts?

Multiple electrical gremlins usually point to an earthing or main connectivity problem. Remove the battery positive terminal and test all of the connections, clean it well and put it back. Clean the battery negative while you're there.

Some D40s (and I thought this was limited to Australia but perhaps not) had a painted earth point for the ECU on the right hand guard and not enough paint was removed to allow a good earth for the ECU. It caused all sorts of strange things to happen. Check yours, clean and then seal once tight with battery terminal spray.

Inside, a common problem that affects instruments is the stereo earth, causing power to flow through random gauges until it finds a path. Very simple solution: run a black wire from the chassis of the stereo to one of the dashboard mount bolts.

Check the plug on the BCM (in the cabin, under the dash, near the centre). Make sure it's fully seated and that it doesn't appear to have loose or damaged wires.

Assuming yours is an auto, of course!

Latest posts

Back