Teaching kids to drive

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjohn

Reaction score
I've been out at nights giving the two young kids driving lessons.
We have a new industrial estate local that is still empty so no traffic but has roundabouts etc.
Our girl is 11 and boy 14.
After 20 lessons they drive like real ppl. They can do emergency stops n hill starts as well.
Tonight I got them out there and let them go around the block on their own together.
I know this will freak some ppl out but they are driving with all the road rules n everything. I'm very proud of them, and they are also proud of themselves and each other.
Its a wonderful way to bond with them.

My son's on his learner plates. Done about 75 hours in 11 months. I reckon the fact that he rode a little 110 cc motor bike and then later a quad has given him a pretty good mechanical grounding, and that makes him a better driver. He drives my ute to school pretty much every day in sometimes reasonably heavy traffic, so he'll be a pretty good driver in the end.

That's great jjohn but be careful, in this day and age the way things are the cops will throw the book at you if you get caught. Along with that all the do gooders that will come out of the wood work with the usual crap. Irresponsible parent....

I think your being most responsible. Your kids will thank you when there are old enough to go for the their licence and it takes away the the mystic and novelty of getting there drivers licence where all of a sudden they are cut loose with no experience and zero hazard recognition skills. The younger the better.

I've been out at nights giving the two young kids driving lessons.
We have a new industrial estate local that is still empty so no traffic but has roundabouts etc.
Our girl is 11 and boy 14.
After 20 lessons they drive like real ppl. They can do emergency stops n hill starts as well.
Tonight I got them out there and let them go around the block on their own together.
I know this will freak some ppl out but they are driving with all the road rules n everything. I'm very proud of them, and they are also proud of themselves and each other.
Its a wonderful way to bond with them.

John, you letting them drive the Z? :biggrin:

Better to start early. Unfortunately I think my wife would freak out.

They're using my 99 Corrolla, 11 is into 2nd and 14 into 3rd. Yes they have had a crack in the z, 1st gear only. The honour of driving such a vehicle has been duly noted by all of them.

Their older brother escaped my tuition as he rides a bike.
He recently got fined for speeding in a 60 zone.
The little ones can't believe he travelled so fast in a built-up area. Since they know just what speed looks like behind the wheel.

I taught both girls at 11 in a paddock the eldest is now 14 and probably is a better driver than some p platers.Despite the mother in law calling me irresponsible i think it's a must and as John said a very bonding experience,who knows one day in the bush they may have to drive in an emergency at least they will know what to do safely.

When ever I'm camping I let my 5 and 6 year olds steer the nav in low with me walking beside them! Freaks the wife out and the kids love it! Win Win ��

My 5 yr old changes gears for me to and from school,it's only 1 km but he never misses one,when he can see over the dash i will take him out in the scrub and teach him.

Latest posts

Back