Stx 550 catch can

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honda1

Reaction score
Hi guys newbie to the forum,I have a catch can fitted to my stx 550,how much oil should be in it after 1200 ks,I checked mine and there was about 70mls,is this excessive thanks for any advice cheers Rob

The amount of oil will vary based on the following:

* Engine heat: more heat = more vapour = more oil going out
* Engine revs: more revs = more blowby = more gas+oil going out
* Engine wear: more wear = more blowby

You can drop the oil straight back into the sump - some people add a tapped outlet to the bottom of their catch can that is joined to the sump and, upon opening the tap, the oil flows back to the sump. On the YD25s this is done through the oil return hose on the turbocharger which is low on the engine and below the turbo, but the V9X engine has the turbo up higher and I'm not sure where the oil return is. It's possible to just empty it back into the oil filling point.

There isn't anything wrong with the oil - it is simply oil that's been heated, it's become vapour and blown out of the engine. It will still lubricate things. I'd try to remember to empty the catch can when changing the vehicle oil, so you don't mix a large amount of old oil with new stuff.

The amount of oil will vary based on the following:

* Engine heat: more heat = more vapour = more oil going out
* Engine revs: more revs = more blowby = more gas+oil going out
* Engine wear: more wear = more blowby

You can drop the oil straight back into the sump - some people add a tapped outlet to the bottom of their catch can that is joined to the sump and, upon opening the tap, the oil flows back to the sump. On the YD25s this is done through the oil return hose on the turbocharger which is low on the engine and below the turbo, but the V9X engine has the turbo up higher and I'm not sure where the oil return is. It's possible to just empty it back into the oil filling point.

There isn't anything wrong with the oil - it is simply oil that's been heated, it's become vapour and blown out of the engine. It will still lubricate things. I'd try to remember to empty the catch can when changing the vehicle oil, so you don't mix a large amount of old oil with new stuff.

Oh thank you I was told to get rid of it, it's worn out, but it really suits my needs and I don't want to replace it, there's no power loss or black smoke,so I will keep my eye on it thanks again

Hi Rob, my mechanic says there should be about 100mls - 200mls after 10k (I have my STX 550 serviced every 10k) also check it once a month.

Hi guys newbie to the forum,I have a catch can fitted to my stx 550,how much oil should be in it after 1200 ks,I checked mine and there was about 70mls,is this excessive thanks for any advice cheers Rob

To be honest mate, depending on the condition of it all, 70ml after 1200k's isn't too bad.

Catch Can is doing its job and saving that oil from being breathed back in.

Back