Stx 550 40000k service

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hasn't capped price servicing only dropped the price of a 40K D40 service down to just under $1000? (I know the capped price list has been posted on here before I can't be bothered looking for it).

Even that is overly expensive, for my 40K I only bought 2 filters and the DPF oil (brake fluid etc was supplied free) and it cost me less than $230 and that was buying the parts from Nissan at trade price. Even adding the diff oil and the air filter would only have taken the parts up to about $300, that's a bloody good hourly rate those qualified Nissan mechanics work for if they do the service in 2 hours :)

Mine was still around the $1100 mark, but it's an auto so more oil and at least one extra filter I guess.

I'm really not happy with the work from Nissan. Mine was one of the engines that had the auto tensioner on the fan belt shit itself, got the letter for the recall on it 2 weeks after mine was fixed ha ha! The supervisor tried to tell me it wasn't a genuine belt on it but that was because the belt was that loose, the back of it had been rubbing on the pullies, not turning them. They also left the oil filter loose and it leaked oil everywhere after the 30k service.

The oil quantity hardly makes a difference, they do charge $54 extra or thereabout for DPF oil though.

What's the extra filter the auto has?

Which recall are you talking about? The only ones I remember for the D40 were the bonnet and the alloys and both were fixed by the 2012 model.

some of the 140kW engines had a recall to fix an engine assembly error where the bolts weren't tightened on the pulley auto tensioner. mine just happened to be one of those and snapped one of the bolts and the tnesioner came loose. I had about 1.5-2" of slack on my belt

the auto would have a filter inside it that would be replaced where a manual shouldn't have a filter at all and the auto probably holds 2-3 litres more to fill the convertor and trans cooler and lines

Ah ok the recalls website doesn't list that recall

Most autos are oil for life these days, as far as I am aware no service drops the gearbox to replace a filter.

shouldn't drop a gearbox to replace the filter, normally a small filter inside that's accessed by removing the sump

checked the logbook, says to replace trans oil, I've never heard of oil for life, that'd be some hardcore liquid engineering, oil always has a shelf life and always loses its physical properties at some point

So what service does the filter get replaced?

As far as I've known it for the last 20 years 'oil for life' is a term that refers to oil inside the box being there for the life of the oil and doesn't require checking. topping up or maintenance as older boxes once required. So therefore there is no checking of a filter, the oil or the levels until the distance recommended by either the box manufacturer or the oil manufacturer. Even the Nissan dealer I purchased mine from in 09 knew that term when my mechanic was talking to him about it so it's not like it's a new term.

well my saga continued today. After yesterdats effort and run around I get in the 550 this morning and hit the key... Click click click. Ahh **** what did I leave on. check everyewhere no lights on or doors ajar.

Lift bonnet and notice the positive terminal is loose and the cover is just sitting ontop of the engine cover..

After trying the jump pack and an old battery in the shed I had to resort to pulling the battery out of my boat and starting with that. Now and hour late for work grab the battery charger and head to work. place battery on charge at work and by 2pm showing fully charged. Try to start car and just a click click . Jump start of a mates ute and head home thinking time to call RAC. Halfway home bells and whistles start going of and engine light comes on.. Straight vack to dealer to give him what for...

After 90 mins they come out and say the battery has dropped a cell and they have the mobile battery guy chasing up the right battery.
Yep ok . Would you like us to change over the battery? yes
ok sir that will be 345 dollars. Hang on a minute I don't thinkl so. long story short after much to and fro and some threats they decided out of the goodness of the heart to replace the battery.. Cool I SIT DOWN AND WAIT AND WAIT AND WAIT ASK HOW LONG NEARLY DONE THEY SAY. WELL TOOK THEM 90 MINUTES ONCE THE OK WAS GIVEN TO CHANGE A BATTERY AND CLEAR THE ERROR MESSAGES.

tHANKS NISSAN YOU JUST COST ME MY AFTERNOON AND ANOTHER JOB...

well my saga continued today. After yesterdats effort and run around I get in the 550 this morning and hit the key... Click click click. Ahh **** what did I leave on. check everyewhere no lights on or doors ajar.

Lift bonnet and notice the positive terminal is loose and the cover is just sitting ontop of the engine cover..

After trying the jump pack and an old battery in the shed I had to resort to pulling the battery out of my boat and starting with that. Now and hour late for work grab the battery charger and head to work. place battery on charge at work and by 2pm showing fully charged. Try to start car and just a click click . Jump start of a mates ute and head home thinking time to call RAC. Halfway home bells and whistles start going of and engine light comes on.. Straight vack to dealer to give him what for...

After 90 mins they come out and say the battery has dropped a cell and they have the mobile battery guy chasing up the right battery.
Yep ok . Would you like us to change over the battery? yes
ok sir that will be 345 dollars. Hang on a minute I don't thinkl so. long story short after much to and fro and some threats they decided out of the goodness of the heart to replace the battery.. Cool I SIT DOWN AND WAIT AND WAIT AND WAIT ASK HOW LONG NEARLY DONE THEY SAY. WELL TOOK THEM 90 MINUTES ONCE THE OK WAS GIVEN TO CHANGE A BATTERY AND CLEAR THE ERROR MESSAGES.

tHANKS NISSAN YOU JUST COST ME MY AFTERNOON AND ANOTHER JOB...

Not good mate, out of interest what type and what size battery are they?

So what service does the filter get replaced?

As far as I've known it for the last 20 years 'oil for life' is a term that refers to oil inside the box being there for the life of the oil and doesn't require checking. topping up or maintenance as older boxes once required. So therefore there is no checking of a filter, the oil or the levels until the distance recommended by either the box manufacturer or the oil manufacturer. Even the Nissan dealer I purchased mine from in 09 knew that term when my mechanic was talking to him about it so it's not like it's a new term.

no sure mate, haven't gone back through the log book again.

that makes more sense now, I'd just never heard the term before

My 550 is due for 40k service - Nissan is quoting $1180 for it. I don't mind paying for quality but it seems very , very overpriced for what it is. Has anyone in Melbourne used any alternatives - 4wd outlets could be an option or someone who knows Nissan .
Thing is i service my other cars that are out of warranty but with Navara i would like to make sure Nissan does not try to wiggle out of potential warranty claim if the car is not serviced with them.

That's what my dealer used to want for the STX 40K. It's massively overpriced I did mine for less than $300 and mine included a $140 fuel filter. If you don't have any problems using an independent mech do it you will save quite a bit.

Is the 550 under the same capped price servicing as the other models?

They reduced mine to $1000 but I told them it was still to much. Got it done at local 4x4 business using genuine parts for about $600. 4x4 business had previously serviced my patrol for 10 yrs with no issues. Mick

Sorry to say guys it's pretty simple, don't take it to nissan. Thats how they get the big fancy showrooms etc. find somebody else

Nissan 40k service quoted me $1100 and would take all day, called ultra tune and they will do it for $670 and be done by lunch time. $1100 to drop the oils! Nissan will never see my car again.

Explain...... No idea...... My arb dealer services my d40 they did my 100k I had new coolant(genuine) replaced, diffs, gearbox, transfer case, engine oil and filter(genuine) , air filter, fuel filter(genuine) rotate tyres and balance and two near bullbar light globes for $600. So please explain

Latest posts

Back