Strange noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve23

Reaction score
Hey guys the last week a strange noise has speared in my front end.. It's kind of like a grinding type noise when turning left or right... Was thinking the wheel bearings but would both sides go at once?.. Or one side just noisy when turning left or right?..

Power steering pump. If only when turning if it was bearing I would imagine would be in a straight line as well.

99% sure it's not the power steering..!

More so noticeable at a higher speed... Rubbing/grinding sound..!

I would look at the bearing for sure, i dont think you would be unlucky eneough to have both sides go at once but it is a very very small chance it could happen.

I would say that you may be getting the bearing noise from only one when ever its under lateral load which is why you hear the noise turning in either direction.

The other possibility is a cv could be playing up.

You can inspect the bearing easy enough, start by jacking up the front end and putting some stands under it and go from there.

I think the first step is to check the bearings. They're known to be a weak point. CVs aren't the strongest point in the car either, neither is the front diff, but the bearings are more likely culprits. You'll know 100% it's bearings if you keep driving it and your ABS light comes on as the ABS sensor on the affected wheel is destroyed.

As Nathan suggests, jack up the front end, place it on stands so that the front wheels are both off the ground. Now you can check for both CVs and bearings.

1) Sit beside the left front wheel and imagine a clock face on the wheel, 12 at the top etc. Grab the tyre at 12 and 6 o'clock and try to rock the top & bottom in and out. If there's movement, you have a worn bearing. While you're there, grab the tyre at 3 and 9 o'clock and repeat the movement. Any motion here is motion in the tie rod ends and the steering rack. Repeat for the right hand side.

2) If the above test proves that both bearings are okay, turn the wheels over while underneath the car with your ear as close to the axle near the wheel as possible. If the spider gears in the CV joint are gone you'll hear them crunch - you might even feel it if you hold the axle.

If the CVs sound/feel okay, have a quick listen to the diff and if that sounds okay, check the drive shaft. It has been a rare problem but it has caused a little grief - the front uni is usually okay, it's normally the joint near the transfer case.

Good and easy outcome. Very good can't beat an easy and relatively cheap outcome.

Last edited:
Bloody oath mate.., $150 not to bad..!

Holding the wheel at 12 n 6 and rocking it didn't show anything was wrong with it... Wasn't until we pulled the old one out and rotated it in our hands you could feel it grinding away...
Was a tough bastard to get out, couple jimmy bars and a hammer solved the problem..!

nice work mate, when mine went it melted it self to the assembly and totally disintegrated the ABS sensor.

Back