ST-X D40 lpg conversion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brmi

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is it possible to convert a petrol v6 d40 to gas/dual fuel? Is it recommended?

Thanks.

Don't do it. I met a builder about 2 years ago who got his converted to gas from new. Whilst he didn't destroy the ute he was always having problems and in the end got rid of it.

I have heard that to, dont know why the exact reason is though.

Dave.

LPG has a much higher octane rating than any unleaded fuel on the market. If the engine is a high-compression high(ish) performance engine (which I understand the Nav V6 is) then it will not be happy at all, unless its setup just to run on LPG.

LPG conversions are usually done to "lazy" engines, which will accept the more volatile fuel without really noticing as they aren't pushing hard compared to a modern performance engine.

Lpg

LPG has a much higher octane rating than any unleaded fuel on the market.

I may be wrong but my last car (4.8 Nissan injected gas) the LPG installer told me LPG was 20% less efficient (octane) than petrol.
This is why an LPG fueled car uses more LPG fuel to drive the same disrance as when its on petrol.
He did however say it burns hotter.

I may be wrong but my last car (4.8 Nissan injected gas) the LPG installer told me LPG was 20% less efficient (octane) than petrol.
This is why an LPG fueled car uses more LPG fuel to drive the same disrance as when its on petrol.
He did however say it burns hotter.

Octane isn't directly related to efficiency.

Research Octane Number (RON) is a comparison value for the reluctance of a fuel to preignite under compression, iso-octane is RON 100 and other fuels are compared to it to get a higher or lower RON value.

LPG has a lower energy content, or heating value, than petrol per KG but it's so damn cheap so it's worthwhile.

The only way that RON and efficiency ARE related is in relation to compression ratios. The higher the RON, the higher the compression ratio you can have before you get pre-ignition, and the higher the compression ratio, the higher the theoretical efficiency of the engine.

If petrol engines could run a compression ratio as high as a diesel without preignition, they'd be far more efficient than a diesel. Food for thought. I got that trick tutorial question wrong the first time. :sarcastic:

Latest posts

Back