Snorkel sounds like a truck

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why, after all the talk and worry about driving in the rain (re water into engine) would you block of the WATER DRAIN HOLE in the airbox, it is there, for one reason only, to let water out.

You may be thinking it will also let water in, but dont worry, the engine will still be able to get air easier in through the big open snorkel without the air box filling up with water.

Unless I was going to cross a water crossing which was very very long, I doubt I would worry about blocking the drain.

I have had water up over the windscreen wipers ( half way up the door mirrors) on my 79series cruiser ute, this ute had a 75mm lift and 35" rubber. water did not get in the engine, and yes the air box had a big drain I put in it as I did a lot of foul weather, dust (mine sites) and wanted to be able to wash the airbox out. the water I crossed was still flood water about 12 months ago and was over 600 meters long, I was in 2nd gear low range (foot to the floor) and just making way, the water had so much resistance on the ute, I had to drain my toolboxes out, the cab got about 2" of water in, but the engine was perfect, not one issue.

the engine will draw in air before water as it it easier, only when no air is available will it suck up the water.

interesting...... seen as mine from factory filled the airbox with mud and sucked the paper filter into the pipe towards the turbo only to be stopped by the mafs since pulling it all out and sealing every hole from top to bottom i now get no mud or water in there, oh and thats only mud and splashes from driving through water maybe 500-750mm go figure.

also on another note if your not happy with the sound redirect the piping through the baffle at front of air box just make sure you seal it well. will reduce the airflow noise to nearly nothing.

D40Ryan, I'm wondering how the water got in like that - the D40 doesn't have the inner guard issue like the D22 does, unless something's been removed?

A wading bra is strongly recommended for water crossings, to protect the radiator/intercooler from water-borne debris. With a wading bra the water won't surge into the engine bay.

Latest posts

Back