roof racks with kayaks

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connaught

Reaction score
i figured general area would be best for this one

i got my d40 and i have 2 finn gizmo kayaks (17kg each per the website) and they are a small kayak in size. and i wan't to be putting the kayaks on the roof,

i don't have roof racks at this point in time, and am looking into some rhino racks that will clip into the door frame and use the existing threaded insert in each of the frames, the roof racks are rated at 75kg

some are thinkin 'yeah ...sooooooooooo', and while i realise that there will be absolutely no problem with the car sittin in my driveway with the kayaks on them , i wan't to know what kind of forces these kayaks will generate in the up direction, ie can a random gust of wind or 120km and hour generate wind forces strong enough to remove the kayaks and roof racks from the car, thereby making me the moron on the side of the road getting laughed at by all the ppl passing me by while i try to piece the kayaks (and roof racks) back together again

what you all think

I use the Blow up racks with one Kayak and have had a truck pass at 100 od K's Didn't lose me yak But it did make a thump on the roof. Scared the shit out of me tho.

I've got a set of clamp on Rhinos on my Nav, regularly carry my kayak strapped flat to the bars, doing 110kms per hour from Brissie to the Gold Coast regularly. No probs at all. Just make sure you tie the nose of the kayak down to the bullbar, no way it will lift up then, :)

There are some excelent racking systems available - drop into kayak shop for advice.

i was more concerned about the 'wind loading' of the kayak ripping the racks off the top of the truck, not the static load carrying carrying of them,

2 bars and ratchet straps baby, all you should need the rest is just a gimmick to suck money out of ya

Well your all set then. With the clamp on bars tightened well, theres no way they are going to come off, and with the kayak nose tied down, no probs.

I use 2 ratchet straps as well just to be sure.

kinda what i was thinkin a strap per crossbar, and the 2 kayaks on the roof (need to do a test fit), but with the racks and ratchet straps a rogue wind gust under the kayaks shouldn't be able to pull the whole setup off the car

i hope anyways

Any of the cheaper racking systems will work on your small boats just fine.

My boat is a hand made 5.5m touring monster (my wife's is also hand-made but 4.5m: and she built it with minimal input from me) so I custom made brackets to suit the hull. With careful tying (we use rope not straps) we've never had a problem on highways or bush tracks.

I have just posted another thread but someone in here may be able to help. I have the clip on Rhino racks on the Navara i just got 2nd hand and after rain i notice a wet smell in the car. The water appears to be coming from where the clamps go under the rubber door seal and running down. Does any one else have this issue?
Also does any one with Rhino racks get a pain in the ass whistle while driving with these on?

Latest posts

Back