Redback Exhaust fitted STX550 V9X motor

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oz550

Reaction score
Hi

I removed the stock exhaust from my 550 today. A fairly straight fwd affair. Start at the front 1st.
The stock sustem weighs a tonn. Compared to this one.
Purchased a redback system. Fitted like a glove.
Not driven enough to make comments about power and fuel usage yet.
Has a nice note to it. Different to a petrol engine sound considering it's straight though. Petrols louder.
I'll let ya know down the track about differences I notice

Paul

Attachments

• 1342220954241.jpg
    1342220954241.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 614
  • Front connection.jpg
    Front connection.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 644
  • first section.jpg
    first section.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 567
  • middle section.jpg
    middle section.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 536
  • over the diff.jpg
    over the diff.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:
I am keen to find out I have traded my 09 STX on a 12 STX, I should be picking it up next week.

and the verdict is??
OZ550
The Verdict: So far it's been good. My litres per 100Km is below 11 now. Somewhere around 10.8 and going down.
A nice note from the exhaust. DEFINETY "NOT" loud. Which suites me.
I didn't realise what a difference a 3"tube is size wise. I thought the stock exhaust looked big enough.
Power??? MMMMmmmm! Don't know. Seems more lively and more responsive for sure. Still got the turbo lag.
It's not mind blowing. If you get my meaning. But.....Has to be an improvment over stock.
Fuel consumption @ December 2012 is steady at 10.9 lts per 100 K's city driving. No load on board.

Last edited:
Is the system from the turbo back ? which would replace dump pipe and dpf or is it just from the dpf back with no catt ?
Have herad if you remove the dpf you will get fault codes

Is the system from the turbo back ? which would replace dump pipe and dpf or is it just from the dpf back with no catt ?

The exhaust attaches to the manifold on the motor. A triangle fitting. I removed 2 sections of origonal exhaust.

Hey oz550 whats the chance of getting a short video or even some pictures... im EXTREMELY keen to get one on my 550 and I think hearing and seeing it may just push me over the edge haha

Hey oz550 whats the chance of getting a short video or even some pictures... im EXTREMELY keen to get one on my 550 and I think hearing and seeing it may just push me over the edge haha

I agree with this!

I'd have to put the ute on a hoist again to show some good pictures and I don't know when that will be m8.
I truely don't think you will regret fitting a 3" system. Remember. My comments are about the REDBACK system. I've no idea about any other brand.
The quality is good. Fits without any modifications at all.
I would try to source some exhaust gasket material 1st and make the triangle gasket as non are supplied. The origonal uses a ring. I used high temp silicone as a gasket. If I were to do this again. I'd make a gasket. Not that mine leaks or anything. Fussie!

Sorry. I don't know what DPF looks like or even if it's got one.
The new system starts at a large triangle flange which looks like a manifold. NO wires or sensors are involved in this.
Take a look at your exhaust and you may figure what im talikng about. There is only 1 triangle flange which is under the drivers feet.

What do you guys think of this.

It's true the DPF has been deleted for Australia. Well sort of.

At least the DPF housing is still there, but they have deleted the 7th injector and the sensors. So the question then was does the DPF housing still contain the filter or is it just an empty DPF housing?

Well I just pulled out the two bolts that have been used to block the sensor bolts and did a differential pressure test. At 2,500 RPM in neutral, the pressure drop across the DPF housing is 1 kPa - which is the same pressure drop across the remaining exhaust, ie the pipe, muffler, resonator and tail pipe.

So what ever is in the DPF housing - it isn't an open tube minus the filter .....

Oz550 - can you have a look inside the DPF section and see if you can see the filter? (it's the large diameter section upstream from the muffler).

The point is - if they've deleted the bits used to burn out and regenerate the filter - what happens when it gets blocked up and there's nothing to burn it out?

Either way - it makes fitting an after market exhaust from the cat back sound like an extremely good idea .....

What do you guys think of this.

It's true the DPF has been deleted for Australia. Well sort of.

At least the DPF housing is still there, but they have deleted the 7th injector and the sensors. So the question then was does the DPF housing still contain the filter or is it just an empty DPF housing?

Well I just pulled out the two bolts that have been used to block the sensor bolts and did a differential pressure test. At 2,500 RPM in neutral, the pressure drop across the DPF housing is 1 kPa - which is the same pressure drop across the remaining exhaust, ie the pipe, muffler, resonator and tail pipe.

So what ever is in the DPF housing - it isn't an open tube minus the filter .....

Oz550 - can you have a look inside the DPF section and see if you can see the filter? (it's the large diameter section upstream from the muffler).

The point is - if they've deleted the bits used to burn out and regenerate the filter - what happens when it gets blocked up and there's nothing to burn it out?

Either way - it makes fitting an after market exhaust from the cat back sound like an extremely good idea .....

There's no DPF on the 550, what you've been looking at is the cat which is full of mesh type stuff, mine sitting in my shed, I can get photos if you want

I'm pretty certain the cat is the enlarged section after the turbo and before the three bolt flange where the after-market exhaust starts.

I'm pretty sure because the cat needs to be as near as possible to the engine, so it gets exhaust gases at their highest temp.

The thing about the section I think is the DPF, is that on the top of the pipe, before the section containing the mesh - it has the mounting point for the 7th injector. Then the enlarged section has the two threads blocked with bolts, that would be used for the differential pressure to let the ECU know when to dump in fuel.... I goggled image search of DPF and there is a version of the DPF filter that looks like mesh... What do you recon?

Hey - how does it go with the new exhaust - is it noticeable? Any less off the line turbo lag?

hey all,
my stx 550 had a dpf filter. the cat is mounted in the dump pipe from the turbo and then the dpf is under the drivers seat area. it has no sensors so it can be removed with out any faults. i removed mine and replaced it with 2 / 3/4 pipe and removed the muffler and put in a high flow muffler. definally feel the difference in the top end power but i seem to think it made it more laggy. fuel is around 10.5 l/km.

they definally have a dpf, they have to to meet euro 5 standards. to remove the cat you have to replace the whole dump pipe. i spoke to northside 4x4 as they had done this. they told me that the gain they recieved was not worth the effort of a custom dump pipe and custom tools to fit it.

there is a guy at my work who fitted a 3 inch cat back exhaust and a chip to his 550 and is now making 210kw and 750nm. thats alot of extra stress on the motor, 550nm is plenty i think, it just needs to be more responisve.

Could be wrong but cat converter seems to be jus after the dump pipe on my v9x,then the dpf which does nothing as it has no squirter or wire attached to it to function for self cleaning,then muffler/mufflers.I thought it was advertised as a cat back system?

Hi Guys,

I was talking to Beaudesert exhausts a few months ago, they had installed a 3" exhaust onto a STX 550 and had a few fault codes coming up, from all this discussion and looking under my own 550, I think the DPF is the one in the dump pipe and the CAT is under the drivers seat, now someone said about the DPF not being connected on the Australian models. Well I think my DPS is connected and working cause around nearly every 400Kms I do and taking of slowely you can hear the exhaust burn going through very loudly to clean the DPF . But as to where this 7th injector is I cannot see it untill I pull the whole exhaust system off for a closer look.

cheers Matt

Sterlo - I wonder whether there is no chanage to the lag - but it's just become more pronounced because there is more grunt when the boost comes on..

We've got a race data logger thingo we use for mining trucks - it does acceleration - so when I do my zaust I could do a before/after comparison ...

Big lag can be a result of a large intercooler (which these have) 'coz you literally gotta pressurize that before the boost gets to the engine - the bigger the intercooler - the larger the volume of air you got to stuff into it before it reaches max boost pressure ....

Has anybody tried a low Resistance inlet filter to reduce the drag?

Sterlo - You said fuel is around 10.5 - what was it B4 the zaust mod?

matthewe2108 - it's too effn hot today to climb under and take a shot - but on my car the the blanked off 7th injector mount is on the top of the pipe just before the DPF (under the driver's seat). Also if it's got a 7th injector then it should also have the pressure drop sensors - so you'll see tubes connected to the threaded sample holes at either end of the DPF, (on mine these are blanked with bolts).

Back