Recovery points

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a set sent from Victoria through eBay awhile back, I think these are the same ones. the bolts they send in the kit are too short, they will hold the recovery point in place however they don't fit into the rails enough. I went to my local 4WD shop and bought some High tensile longer bolts for like $10, now they work a treat!

Attachments

• IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 233
Im also looking to put together a small recovery kit.
What rating snatch strap would be used for a d40? I notice most are rated at 8000 or 11000kg's
Also do you need to use a tow bar hitch recovery point? Ive seen on the ARB website the guy just uses the large hitch pin in the towbar to recover.

I use a 11,000kg TJM Snatch strap, I wanted to be sure of the weight considering when I do travel I've usually got a fair bit on board.

In regards to the rear I have a TJM rear Hitch or you can take the Hayman Reese/Nissan hitch out, side the loop of the snatch strap up the receiver and slide the pin across while the strap in held inside. Never use the tow ball to snatch or recovery off that's the main thing.

Great thanks, and yeah I was refering to using that hitch receiver pin like you recommended.
Do you use dampener on the strap when snatching?
Im very new to 4x4 recovery, but do drive a fair bit on the beach but have never needed a snatch yet.

If everyone is standing well back etc I don't always use a dampener, however I do wash and clean my recovery gear after each trip, plus make sure it doesn't have any fraying edges or knots.

Best bit of recovery items I have current are the Maxx Tracks, but there are just as good sets on eBay, I bought a set of these, link below.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Recovery...19?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3a8fb17cf7

If the rear bumper is removed you could use something to line up/ use the mounting points if its to the chassis and strong enough?

But I think a tow bar is a cheaper option the rear bars from TJM and ARB etc. usually have recovery points in them

do you think the 8000kg bridal strap would be up to the task? Or would i be better off just getting the recovery points & finding a 11000kg bridal strap?

I'd say the 8000 would be fine, as along as your not towing a camper trailer or anything should be more then enough

As for snatch straps, the national standard is 2.5 times the gvm of yoyr car. As such, the gvm on the navaras is approx 3 tonnes, therefore you want the 8000 pound strap. Yoy want the strap to be the weakest link, not the recovery points.

Also, if the strap is too strong, it wont stretch like it is meant to and will shock load your recovery points which will increase the chance of damage.

If you are new to 4wding, do yourself a favor and join a 4wd club. Most will do a driver awareness program which will teach you all the basics and how to recover a car safely.

Latest posts

Back