Rear diff pinion seal, nut and washer

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgladwin

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will be replacing the pinion seal in the rear diff shortly and need a little advice.

I just want to know if replacing the pinion nut and washer with new has to be done once the old ones have been removed? A local dealer says that they never replace the nuts and washers and there service guys have never asked for them. They replace the seal only.

The service manual says to never re-use the nut and washer but when the nut costs $36 and the washer costs $31 it seems a bit steep if its not 100% needed.

Looking for any help or advice.

Cheers.

I've never done a pinion seal on a Navara, but as a general rule I always replace the locknut whenever doing a pinion oil seal. Not sure why the washer would have to be replaced though.

dont bother replacing the nut and washer, but DO measure the preload from the pinion before you remove the nut (with wheels and drums removed) and then set the pinion up to the same torque afterwards. Otherwise you'll be up for a axle rebuild shortly afterwardss

Hey seventies47,
Do you know if the torque is measured in foot or inch LB's

Hi everyone,

I will be replacing the pinion seal in the rear diff shortly and need a little advice.

I just want to know if replacing the pinion nut and washer with new has to be done once the old ones have been removed? A local dealer says that they never replace the nuts and washers and there service guys have never asked for them. They replace the seal only.

The service manual says to never re-use the nut and washer but when the nut costs $36 and the washer costs $31 it seems a bit steep if its not 100% needed.

Looking for any help or advice.

Cheers.
I did my seal on the d 40 and yes you have to put on a new nut and washer

Did the seal on mine but couldn't get nut and washer so reused existing. Marked original position and took it just tighter when replaced. 20K km ago and its as sweet as.

Latest posts

Back