Protecting second battery from over discharge

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfgeorge

Reaction score
Im in the process of putting a second battery in. It will be used mainly for charging electronic equipment and for running lights. May get used for a week or so without running the truck.

Is it worth putting something on the output of the second battery to switch it off when the voltage drops to protect it? If so, anyone know of a suitable device that will cut off at the correct voltage, or better still is adjustable?

Dave

I'm not sure if a standard battery isolator would do the job. I'm sure Jaycar had a kit you could assemble that triggered at a particular (and I think adjustable) voltage. I don't recall the details, I'd have to go and browse through the kits and find it again. You could ring a Jaycar shop and ask them if they have a 12V low-voltage cut-off circuit.

I tried that Universal Voltage Switch and have mixed results. The kit is easy enough to build but when I was testing it it let the smoke out. Now I tested everything and all voltages and resistances were spot on.
Found this just then and it will do the job just as you want apart from the adjustable bit
The 12 Volt Shop

Latest posts

Back