possible d40 limp mode

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy john

Reaction score
I ask this question for a semi elderly mate of mine out bush not a member here with limited phone and no internet.

His 2009 d40 space cab manual is fitted with a tunit chip and 3inch exhaust has done 70k without a problem but now no power and heaps of black smoke.

I guess it's in limp mode i carn't get there untill wednesday if i get time off work any idea's has the the chip caused the drama ?if so how do i bypass the silly tunit but will the disconnect battery be the first thing to reset the ecu?

Last edited:
Fastest way to reset the ECU: disconnect the black battery lead, press the brake pedal, put the lead back on. You will need the radio PIN and you might want to write the trip meter values down if you use those for economy recording.

However, it sounds like the vacuum tube on the turbo actuator has either perished or fallen off. D40s are reliant on the turbocharger and it won't do squat without that vacuum line. No power & lots of black smoke is the result. Won't need to reset the ECU.

Thanks Tony just quickly as i said i am unsure of the d40 setup i am going bush on wednesday to help the poor bugger where do i find this hose?.

Also if the silly tunit module is to blame it should be a simple matter of removing the rail sensor and reconnecting it can anyone advise me on this?.

Like i said the elderly gent that is a good mate of mine has limited phone and no internet i am going to try to help him but no knowledge of the d40.

Again thanks for anybody that replies i just need to arm myself with knowledge before i go bush on wednesday.

Thanks
John.

Look at the turbo. A small metal rod comes up from the turbo to a vacuum actuator. The vacuum tube (black rubber) comes off it down to an electric solenoid which has two vacuum tubes attached to it. Check both.

Thanks for that just trying to work out if indeed it is in limp mode before i get there the old fellow tells me it is possible to do 80kph on a flat road.

Is this able to be done if the d40 is in limp? also any idea's about bypassing the tunit module? again thanks for any idea's.

cant help with the bypass but when mine went into limp mode there is no way i could get to 80kmh

sorry cant help much more hope he gets it sorted

Thanks longy any advice helps tony may be correct i hope. the scanguage is in wa so i have no idea where to start being a d22 clown i will look for those hoses but on such a new car are hoses going to perish or fall off?

The hose is very poor quality and does perish that bad.
It may even be the solenoid given up. When they fail it blocks any vacuum getting to the turbo actuator.
Is he too far to get a tow, or truck to get his rig in?

Again good helpfull advice thank you john if the old bloke can do 80 it's not in limp mode maby the chip i hope Tony has an idea. but i will check those hoses agin thanks for your advice

I've been at work for a couple of really long days guys, sorry I didn't get back ... but as above, ya didn't need me!

True limp mode will have the Check Engine Light lit up. There is a pedal/ignition sequence that you can use to make the dash show the 4-digit trouble code. Can you communicate with him and ask if the CEL is on?

Hi
I also have limp mode problem with my D40 2,5dci. So i changed by my self the PUMP SUCTION CONTROL VALVE. This doesn t resolve the prob at 100%, now when i start engine i got limp mode (no errors on dashboard) so i have to stop it and restart it again and it s ok.
But i want to sell and i can t due to this problem.

Any idea ?

Ps :i tried to reset pump but it dont work

After hours of checking those hoses ect you could drive the thing it got going but not as fast as one would expect as yes the hoses are crappy quality.

The issue was climbing the range under heavy acceleration a total loss of power and clouds of black smoke.

After limping to the closest nissan dealer the diagnosis was a partially blocked fuel line only 10% of fuel was getting through $180 later and he was back on his way with full power,so it wasn't in limp i don't know how it ran and why when it lost power if poured smoke surely if it's staving for fuel it won't blow heaps out.

WE did find one of the tubes that goes into the v section had some s..t in it nothing a bit of wire didn't fix being on the clean side of the filter hoe did that get there? anyway problem solved thanks for peoples opinions and idea's.

Latest posts

Back