Nissan Paint Quality

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the paintwork has deteriorated since the last inspection I'd say get the additional one done especially if you have evidence of any such deterioration

Oh yeah they do it so well.
I spoke to the tribunal and it appears the hearing in Sydney wont be till August anyway.
I have replied to Nissan am very happy to arrange to have the head vehicle inspector from The NSW Office of Fair Trading attend the hearing and inspect the truck with them present. No reply to that either.
I think they are going to try to say i have had work done on the truck since they did the damage and its the new work thats bad. yeah nice try but not going to happen.
I know they are going to try to play dirty so just have to hope that the Tribunal member can see through all the crap and realise the truth.
Ah well time will tell and we will finally see if the truth is worth anything.

Nissan may also try and drag this out for a long as they legally can in the hope that you will get sick of it and give up.

Well its been 3 years so far and i will tell the member that stalling tactics are not going to be acceptable . I will agree to their request for a new paint inspection I think.On the day at the tribunal hearing .
Nissan is going to try to say that I have had extra work done and I havent maintained the truck well.As some of you like Ants have actually seen the truck you will know they will have one hell of a fight on thee hands if they try to say I have damaged the paint on the truck . Like all large companies they want to shed all responsibility for this own screw ups . I am willing to bet they try to say its been so long there is no way of telling etc .i am going to request that the inspector from fair Trading be there on the day so he can verify the truck is the same as it was when I first told them it wasnt right.

aussie,mate, can you change the title. nisan, paint and quality dont go together in a statement or sentance.

Saw a new black stx today, paint looked terrible, mega orange peel effect. Haven't picked mine up yet, don't know what I will do if its that bad. Has anyone else got black and if so does it have a really bad orange peel look? I am reading that nissan have not got the best paint but this one today made me cringe at the thought of coughing up so much money to have it look 'good from far'...

The paint quality and amount of peel is roughly the same on all colours.
At the end of the day of you dont like what you see when they go for delivery just tell them you will not accept it. Once you take delivery its too late. If your not happy with the truck say so .

Saw a new black stx today, paint looked terrible, mega orange peel effect. Haven't picked mine up yet, don't know what I will do if its that bad. Has anyone else got black and if so does it have a really bad orange peel look? I am reading that nissan have not got the best paint but this one today made me cringe at the thought of coughing up so much money to have it look 'good from far'...

Nah mines not peely mate, I have grown up around spraypainters, half my family does it so it would piss me off too. It is very thin though.

Nah mines not peely mate

Hey Matt, I am a bit paranoid. yours is not peely at all? I have been stuffed around by the dealer with delivery, been put off three times, was about to pull the pin, I reckon if the paint is remotely like the one I saw today it will push me over the edge!!

Flaking Paintwork

We purchased our STX new from a major QLD dealer (1000kms from home). Looking back i realise that we never should've went ahead with it. From day 1 it was a drama- they apparently sold our vehicle so had to wait another 2 weeks making it just over 2 mths wait time. Months later we resolved several issues and were fairly happy with the vehicle. Then the paintwork started to chip away. First on the driver's side door and then on other panels. Our local dealer sent it to a panel shop for a quote and said Nissan warranty would only cover repairs to the damaged areas. We wouldn't accept this as more areas had started to peel since they first looked at it so we wanted a full re-spray. What a hassle it is trying to get an answer. Finally after speaking with friends in NSW, we are being assisted by another Nissan dealer who has dealt with this problem before. Let's hope we get a good result, plus the tub paint might then match the body paint after a full re-spray.

Sad part is that any decent panel beater will give you lifetime warranty on their work. However if the work is done as a warranty repair then that may not be the case . Be very careful about the warranty on the work that is done. 3 different painters tried to colour match on my truck and noone got it right.I am having mine repainted in Super Black the Frontier colour which is basically straight jet black. Just Black tinter so easy as to colour match should I ever need it.Black is apparently one of the hardest colours to colour match.Many blacks are 75% black tinter and the rest is a cheaper colour and so if you miss out on the exact recipe of the colour you will get a black thats fine out of the sun or bright lights but a mismatch under the sun or bright lights.

We purchased our STX new from a major QLD dealer (1000kms from home). Looking back i realise that we never should've went ahead with it. From day 1 it was a drama- they apparently sold our vehicle so had to wait another 2 weeks making it just over 2 mths wait time. Months later we resolved several issues and were fairly happy with the vehicle. Then the paintwork started to chip away. First on the driver's side door and then on other panels. Our local dealer sent it to a panel shop for a quote and said Nissan warranty would only cover repairs to the damaged areas. We wouldn't accept this as more areas had started to peel since they first looked at it so we wanted a full re-spray. What a hassle it is trying to get an answer. Finally after speaking with friends in NSW, we are being assisted by another Nissan dealer who has dealt with this problem before. Let's hope we get a good result, plus the tub paint might then match the body paint after a full re-spray.

I had a Major Qld dealer sell the ST-R that i put a deposit on. also not happy. Made sure it was known when the Nissan Survey arrived.

Regards
Greg

I waited initially 3 months for mine to arrive in Aus. On the day of delivery they were bringing it down from Moss Vale and were half way here when they discovered they were driving a 4x4 not a 4x2. 2 weeks later they delivered my 4x2 with a brand new set of BF Goodrich rubber for free .Now 4 years later well close enough to it I will finally have a truck with a good paint job.

The paint on my sorm grey 07 stx is so thin a seagull landed on the bonnet and scratched the thing on the weekend. I shit you not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The paint on my sorm grey 07 stx is so thin a seagull landed on the bonnet and scratched the thing on the weekend. I shit you not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I shouldn't laugh, but the mental image of that just cracks me up, sorry.

Definitley some I don't know, what is it, cost cutting? going on in the paint dept sometimes of these damn car companies. And they get away with it, well most of the time anyway.

A relo of mine used to work for a major car company in Aust (I probably should not specify which one) and said that the formulations for paint were changing pretty significantly to make them less environmentally horrible. One of the side effects which will probably take some time to sort out is that tne new stuff seems to have a very soft finish. I had a work car which would have been about five years old and white (Camry) and the paint on that was abysmal, if you brushed it with a seam on your trousers as you walked past it you put a mark on the paint. Your fingernails left tracks in the paint under the doorhandles and it was generally so chalky that you had to polish the front of it to get road grime off as the surface finish just sucked it in and would not let go of it.

Apart from some obviously poor spray patterns on the D40/R51 and obvious match problems on some cars like Aussie Frontier's I dont think that the Nissan paint is generally any worse than most other manufacturers. My own R51 has a good colour match from end to end, except for the front bumper which was resprayed after a scrape by an old biddy parking into it! Talking to the relo, the bigest problem with metallic paints and parts not painted along with the body is that if the gun is pointed in a different direction the metal will lay a different way and even if the colour match is good it will look wrong in light. Apaprently bumpers were painted off site on one model they made and it took a lot of work to ensure that the spray pattern ended up the same so the bumpers lookied like they belonged to the right car.

I am just about to change over the R51 and potentially sell my D22 for a D40 leased through my work and I will be giving both a bloody good go over paint wise before accepting them, basically the one I will buy will be the one I test drive and no other and I will look over the paintwork before accepting it even to sign a contract.

I was talking to my painter and he was telling me that 1 particular colour on the new ford range is being totally repainted as its just a screw up and they are all peeling.
On some of other brands there is barely any paint on them and that why its so hard to colour match. The primer shows through the very thin base colour so when a real painter applies the correct colour then it looks different as noone can paint as thin as a robot. They basically spray the paint in the air and drive the car through it to get it so thin.
Less paint means lower costs and higher profits.

Latest posts

Back