Newbie question: How far can I still drive with this oil leak?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ward oftoasia

Reaction score
Hi all, total non-technical noob here.

Had a random look under my 2011 D40 this morning and noticed some leaked oil. Seems to originate somewhere close to/below the oil filter.

Screenshot 2567-06-04 at 12.21.38.png

Screenshot 2567-06-04 at 12.22.03.png

While I was underneath I also noticed that a hose seems to have snapped/disconnected that's connected to the transmission (guessing this is the transmission based on a quick google search).

Screenshot 2567-06-04 at 12.22.18.png

And possible there are supposed to be bolts in here? (Excuses in advance if this is a stupid question)

Screenshot 2567-06-04 at 12.22.39.png

As the nearest Nissan workshop from my current location is a good 30kms away I was wondering if any of you experts could advice if its still ok to drive this distance?

Or should I rather have it towed?

Thanks in advance for any tips guys!

Can you check with a local oil change place? They may be able to check it for you. And please do something, even if only carrying oil and knowing how to check and add it. If the oil gets too low for long, you will ruin the engine.

Can you check with a local oil change place? They may be able to check it for you. And please do something, even if only carrying oil and knowing how to check and add it. If the oil gets too low for long, you will ruin the engine.
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I've checked the oil level, and it's still full, so apparently, I haven't lost much yet. I'll visit a nearby local garage today, show them the pictures, and see what they say.

Do you have any ideas about the hose/connection that seems broken off or missing?

Ask at the oil change place. That "missing here" may or may not need a hose, it may some other type of release area. I am not sure.
I've just has several cars across the years where I checked the oil at least once a week and kept oil in the car to put in to keep it going. Also, make sure you know if you are using regular oil or synthetic.

Hi all, total non-technical noob here.

Had a random look under my 2011 D40 this morning and noticed some leaked oil. Seems to originate somewhere close to/below the oil filter.

View attachment 38510

View attachment 38511

While I was underneath I also noticed that a hose seems to have snapped/disconnected that's connected to the transmission (guessing this is the transmission based on a quick google search).

View attachment 38512

And possible there are supposed to be bolts in here? (Excuses in advance if this is a stupid question)

View attachment 38513

As the nearest Nissan workshop from my current location is a good 30kms away I was wondering if any of you experts could advice if its still ok to drive this distance?

Or should I rather have it towed?

Thanks in advance for any tips guys!
All fine. Keep eyes on levels then drive to dealership and get checked over and replace hoses if needed to make safe.

If the engine oil filter on the D40 version of the YD25 engine is in the same place as the D22 version (& I suspect that it is) - then I'd say there's a very high chance that the oil that you can see is the result of a sloppy filter change during a service. I had it happen to mine before I started doing the oil changes myself.

The filter is very awkward to remove & is facing downwards, so oil goes everywhere if you don't take care.

I'd clean up the oil that you can see using clean rags, or paper towel & monitor it for any new spilt oil. If the oil comes back, you have a leak. if it doesn't, you don't.

I suspect that the missing hose is just a breather, but others more knowledgeable than me can confirm or contradict that.

Latest posts

Back