new turbo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d40ryan

Reaction score
so i have blown up the standard turbo. my question is, is there any other turbo that you can put in that will handle more power/ is a better set up then the vvt and is a fairly close match.

my reasoning being if i have to fork out all the cash for a new turbo i may aswell get a better one.

so i have blown up the standard turbo. my question is, is there any other turbo that you can put in that will handle more power/ is a better set up then the vvt and is a fairly close match.

my reasoning being if i have to fork out all the cash for a new turbo i may aswell get a better one.

If you do decide to go down a different path you will need to do some custom fabrication work to make a new manifold and buy all the bits and pieces like external wastegate etc.. it is very costly process.. bluenavara has done it on the club frontier site

yeh ive read up on his posts wanted to try do it without changing manifold but getting something externally gated. rather then the vvt

that doesn't sound much more than stock. probably well within range of factory turbo.
i would stick with stock turbo.
changing to wastegate type you will lose low down power. changing to a different variable is tricky due to the control system. so any changes may end up being a backwould step.

The stock turbo can pump out around 150kw.
135kw is easily achieveable with a rail and pressure chip and 28psi of boost.

Add a water methanol system for the remaining power desired.

The stock turbo can pump out around 150kw.
135kw is easily achieveable with a rail and pressure chip and 28psi of boost.

Add a water methanol system for the remaining power desired.

So Lyndsey the 116kw my 2.5 d22 atw is good ? i just put around but after all the cars you have had on the dyno is that good?

as it sits it makes 130ish at the motor not the tyres which is like what with 33's, 70 ish?

its a big jump. seen a gu with 14mm pump and 50 psi up it only make 180 at the wheels with 33's

well mate take away about 30% of power lost in the driveline from the flywheel figures

be a bit more then 30% with standard diff gears and tyres with a rolling diametre a good 5ish"bigger wouldnt it?

dieseltuner is probably best person with a couple dyno sheets?

also 4byfor did you end up gettign your car dynoed to see how much it made?

Last edited:
Do you really need another 30kw ?

If so, sell your truck and buy a VQ40DE powered D40. Then supercharge it, will be more reliable and make more power.

Do you really need another 30kw ?

If so, sell your truck and buy a VQ40DE powered D40. Then supercharge it, will be more reliable and make more power.

more like 50-100ish.

and its already got to many mods to bother selling it. plus mines one of the special one without the abs and the auto box. ;)

Would you be able to switch to the later model D40 turbo?
I cant remember witch model it was when Nissan switched but its what helped them increase the power from 126kw to 140kw

Would you be able to switch to the later model D40 turbo?
I cant remember witch model it was when Nissan switched but its what helped them increase the power from 126kw to 140kw

nizbits reckons there is a couple different turbos according to vin number but when i look on web i can only ever seem to find the one gt2056v

I actually ment 130-150kw atw is possible on the stock turbo. Its not as bad as some people make it out to be..

I have had a number of cars go 130kw atw with 27psi and really good fuel ratios (above 20:1)

Throw more fuel at it and they go 150kw, but I wouldnt trust it to last a long time.

Thats why I said get it to 130kw then give it a squirt of water/meth for the final 20kw.

One of the very first D40's I done was with a steinbauer, manual boost controller, exhaust and cooler upgrade.. It made like 135kw when the car was brand new.
Its now over 180,000km and has a gvm approaching 4ton for its entire life span. Still going strong.

Last edited:
What does a stock d40 actually make atw anyway?

**** all. say 126fly wheel take 30% like old mate reckons left with 88kw atw thats with standard diff gears and tyres. add bigger tyres seen as its a 4wd and well they dont make diff gears for them. there is not alot of kw's left over.

also has anyone ever priced a new turbo from nissan, i just called them and they reckon 4g?!?!?!?! what a rip off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back