new to Forum - and proud of my D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodyD40

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I picked up my thai built D40 in October last year, and have already done 20K in it. Plenty of km's travelling on black stuff, but i've already done 3 proper off road trips, from beach to gravel, to rocky and then water crossings.

It seems that the standard suspension is not coping with the extra's i already have on board - but i say that because i seem to scrape over all the mounds on serious off road tracks, so the most important thing i need to UPGRADE is putting a good lift kit in. So far my research is pointing to a 40mm lift all round and good shockies (or dampers as some call 'em on here) - Feed back on Lift-Kits would be great, currently i'm looking seriously at what IRONMAN have on offer.

I already have an Ironman commercial bar, and will soon have a 12k monster winch as well.

Not happy with the tow-bar that nissan fitted, it is very low at the rear, so i'm looking for a suitable replacement h/d tow bar so i dont bum scrape all the time. I often tow my 1.2t boat to go fishing, and i also have a good off-road camper trailer which goes nearly 1t fully loaded. Any ideas for suitable tow bars would be appreciated.

I have a Flexi-glass high canopy over the tub, and have fitted out my own dual battery system running a waeco 50l fridge and lots of low watt lights in the rear - and a pair of LED work lights off the roof rack at the back (great lighting when camping). I have also fitted out my own drawer system, with provision for upto 4 loaded jerry cans of fuel safely stowed as well.

Future upgrades will include:
long range tank
fox wing awning
side steps (so 4 year old can climb up into the car - well, thats what i'm telling the Mrs...)
200dia HID driving lights (currently using an old set of 150mm narva's i had lying around)

Cheers, David

Gday David,Welcome to the forums,even with a lift the long wheel base of the D40 will still see you scrape on mounds,get rid of the factory side steps(if you have them) before you damage your sills.
I have Iron man comfort load 2 inch lift and it's a great ride,better than standard in my opinion but i don't have a bar fitted or carry much more weight than standard.
I had the kit fitted in December last year and it doesn't seem to have sagged.
You get what you pay for and if i was going to go full on with heavy accesories i would have shopped around a bit more but right now it suits my purposes.
Have a look around the forums for more info,plenty there.
Cheers.

Welcome to the forum!

A lift and slightly larger tyres will see you a little clearer, but the D40 can't stretch too far because of the front suspension.

I think the Nissan tow hitch is pretty much as close to the chassis as you're going to get. I have the Hayman Reese on mine, but only because I use load levellers and the Nissan hitch can't handle the torsional loading imparted by the hitch, so it bends the mounting bolts. Because it has extra fixing points, I'd imagine the HR hitch sits even lower.

If you're after departure angle, you'll improve that with the lift a bit - and maybe enough?

Thanks Guys for your replys and Welcomes.

I am looking forward to having the lift kit installed next month - then i'll be able to think about larger tyres as suggested. But i've only done 20K on these tyres, so tyres will have to wait for a while.

Thanks Guys for your replys and Welcomes.

I am looking forward to having the lift kit installed next month - then i'll be able to think about larger tyres as suggested. But i've only done 20K on these tyres, so tyres will have to wait for a while.

I heard a rumor that Ironman are now having their springs locally made buy King springs. Reason been was they had 40000 warranty claims last year???.

But it's only a rumor from a mate, who's mate owns a 4x4 accessories shop and probably deals in another brand.

Latest posts

Back