Navara D40 ST -X 2005 DIED on me

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damo83

Reaction score
Gday guys and I hope u can help me out :D

I have a nissan navara D40 2005 Turbo diesel 3L, had it for over a year. Until few months ago ( yes few months ago stupid mechanics ) My engine died and I had towed to my local mechanic. He thought the starter motor is the issue and battrey need to be replacement. he fitted brand new starter motor, new battery and fully serviced for me ( charged me 1.6k ) and it still hasn't started.

Although he told me that the engine require rebuilt ( its is close to 105 k on the clock ) will be costing me 10 k. I just got pissed off with the mechanic and he has no idea why the engine isnt starting anymore. Towed back to my place cos im not paying 10 k !!

I called a mate of mine he is a mobile mechanic, came over few times to check the car, kept saying the starter motor is the issue. still no idea why its not starting, he also checked the motor its moving freely not tight.

I had a mate towed my nissan to jump start, it wont do it.

Any one could please advice me to check any thing else?

thanks mate

if you know the possible problem , can u please email to [email protected]

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like the starter is cranking the engine over. If it is, then the ONLY requirements for it to work are:

* air gets into the motor
* fuel gets into the motor

You could try the following things, in order.

1) Pump the little primer bulb located in the fuel line near your fuel pump. At the most you should get 5-6 squeezes before the thing goes fairly firm. If you're still squeezing after 10 times, there's no fuel in the line. Suspect either a blockage (either the filter or in the pickup inside the fuel tank), or a leaking fuel line between the primer and the tank.

2) Have the glow plugs checked.

3) Fuel mixture is calculated based on data from the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAFS) which is located in the air tube heading to the turbo just a couple of cm outside the air filter box. Using some electrical contact cleaner, spray the thing clean. Be careful, it's a $400 gizmo. Even with a bad sensor reading I'd expect that you could start the car, unless the response from this was zero.

4) Injection timing is based on a signal from the Crank Angle Sensor (CAS). If this is misaligned, it's like a petrol car with its distributor out of whack - it won't start but you'll smell fuel. If you can't smell fuel (especially in the exhaust) then go back to #1). If you can smell fuel, the CAS may have slipped, be damaged, or even disconnected (possibly through debris/corrosion in the plug). If your tachometer moves when flat-towing and trying to start it, the CAS is connected but may be misaligned. I would expect it to make all sorts of coughing sounds if this was the case.

5) Injectors might be frozen/gummed up. Not a cheap problem, but if your fuel system is intact and there's no fuel getting past the injectors then I'd suspect the injector power first, then injectors themselves second.

I'd start looking at those things. The CAS alignment is easily checked at a Nissan dealership. Also, let's see what others think it might be.

couple of things - D40 is the 2.5l not the 3l. The 3l was in the D22. If its the 2005 3l in the D22 then troubleshooting the fuel issue is easier as its not common rail. You can take the main fuel feed off to the injector and crank the engine and see if fuel is being pumped up. Do NOT do that if its the 2.5ltr common rail, the pressure is much higher.

other than that little issue, everything tony says is good advice, follow it :D

Latest posts

Back