My 2012 D22, to receive an LS1

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennyg

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum, been chatting with Scottybobcat to get as much information as possible to hopefully have a smooth time putting an LS1 into my 2012 D22 Navara.
As it stands it has a bunch of gear, ARB bullbar, siderails and rear bar, all colour coded, Warn winch, Spotlights, safari snorkel, 2 inch old man emu suspension lift, upgraded torsion bars, wheels and tyres, rear air locker, under bonnet compressor, UHF, cruise control etc.
It's a really nice truck apart from the massive lack of power.
Future plans include an LS1 and auto box, decent sound/entertainment system, leather upholstery, and a long range tank.

Some photos -

Hope you guys enjoy, look forward to being a part of the community.

Cheers,
Ben

Looks awesome mate, were you in adelaide towards the end of last year by any chance!? Pretty sure I saw this parked on the side of the road haha.

i know scott personally and have driven his nav on and off road
i cant believe he isnt trying to talk you out of such a conversion
what about an rb25 det?, thats just one option that will give you similar output
and would be an easier conversion(in theory)
after all the ls1 is a pig of a motor,there are better options(yes i too have spent$14k on a ls1 in a vzss,,never again, fkin dinasour of an engine,push rods in the 21st century,pfffttt)
scotts car is an absolute beast to drive
but
ask him if he would consider doing it again
and if it was worth it

what about an rb25 det?, thats just one option that will give you similar output
after all the ls1 is a pig of a motor,there are better options(yes i too have spent$14k on a ls1 in a vzss,,never again, fkin dinasour of an engine,push rods in the 21st century,pfffttt)
but
and if it was worth it

would be harder conversion, taller motor then an LS, plus its 6 cylinders long not 4, so other then being narrower, it would be hard to fit every other dimension.

But the RB's biggest let down would be the lack of grunt down VS the LS or even the stock YD25 for that matter.

Regardless of its 'age' or lack of modern technology the LS range of motors are light & compact for their capacity and bloody reliable when done right.

Big move doing it to a 2012 model ute tho, prob would be cheaper starting off with an older model but each to their own

would be harder conversion, taller motor then an LS, plus its 6 cylinders long not 4, so other then being narrower, it would be hard to fit every other dimension.

But the RB's biggest let down would be the lack of grunt down VS the LS or even the stock YD25 for that matter.

Regardless of its 'age' or lack of modern technology the LS range of motors are light & compact for their capacity and bloody reliable when done right.

Big move doing it to a 2012 model ute tho, prob would be cheaper starting off with an older model but each to their own

yeah sry i was thinking of a different engine,4 cyl
just cant remember its family name atm

anther thing to consider is that scotts car was originally a v6
so it had the stronger front diff
anyway mate best of luck with your conversion
will be a beast when its completed

Last edited:
Looks awesome mate, were you in adelaide towards the end of last year by any chance!? Pretty sure I saw this parked on the side of the road haha.

Yeah buddy was in Adelaide from start of October till Start of January for work.

And thanks everyone for the kind words, I'm definitely happy with the ways its turned out with the colour coded bars all in white and the black wheels and sports bar, a lot of mates told me it was gonna look shit but they were all surprised when it was done.

but
and if it was worth it

Im not fixated on it being an LS1 mate, I would love to be able to just do something to the standard engine (I don't mind spending coin) to get it to the point where it has nice linear power and can overtake whilst towing and get off the line nicely.

I just can't see an exhaust and chip making all that much of a difference, especially with the dead spot up to 1900rpm.

Could you rebuild the standard 2.5 with better internals and up the compression and bore it out or something to get more down low? What are the options, with spending some money (considering the cost of an LS1 conversion).

Cheers,
Ben

i feel your pain mate
mine now weighs 2470kg so ime even slower
some options
larger turbo
bigger i/cooler
better flowing head (d40 head?)
ems remap
the 2.5 in the d40's put out 128 and 403
the beaudesert exhaust is well worth the money and you will notice the differance
have you done the egr mod?
what about a sr20
slip straight in

200kw
380ish n/m torque
thankyou

Last edited:
how would an sr20 go moving that sort of mass though? like i know they go really well in drift cars and such, have plenty of experience with them, but just thinking in a 4wd getting loaded up low down in the rev range, probably pretty average?

bigger turbo and intercooler on the td25 would only make the low rev situation worse would it not?

put a 1UZ/2UZ in it.

honestly though I wouldn't have bought a D22 and then thought oh im going to spend another $15-20k on a new engine, you should of just bought a D40 with the V9x diesel.

put a 1UZ/2UZ in it.

honestly though I wouldn't have bought a D22 and then thought oh im going to spend another $15-20k on a new engine, you should of just bought a D40 with the V9x diesel.

im glad thats what you would have done mate. but i prefer the d22, and the diesel in the d40 is still a long way from powerful.

There's a crowd in qld fitting the 6.5 ltr duramax to D-40's and apparently the fit better than they do in gu patrols , you want hp , lol how does 350 kw grab you , I can't remember the torque figures

Latest posts

Back