Manual D40 rolling whilst parked in gear - compression loss?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DANEgerous

Reaction score
So I've just noticed that my 2010 D40 ST when parked on a very slight incline will creep down the hill (no hand brake as I'm in am alpine area and don't want it to freeze on). Vehicle has 104000 ish on it and HD Solid Flywheel clutch kit was installed at 95ish. I figure I've lost some compression. Any suggestions? It blows a little smoke, but I didn't think it was that bad. What's my best course of action?

It would be rare for a hand brake to freeze on in Australia. Our temperatures just don't get cold enough for that. Even in the snowfields even in a cold snap in the snowfields.

Put the hand brake on.

compression test! derrr:)

Yeah I figured as much, I was more hoping to find out what likely culprits could be and how hard I could be hit financially.

It would be rare for a hand brake to freeze on in Australia. Our temperatures just don't get cold enough for that. Even in the snowfields even in a cold snap in the snowfields.

Having spent the better part of the last decade up here I've seen enough vehicles incapacitated with frozen diesel or stuck handbrakes to know it worth taking precautions in certain areas pending weather. Just last week I saw some little hatchback dragging the stuck rear wheels about. Anyway that's irrelevant, either way my Nav shouldn't be rolling down the street when parked in gear.

I'd be interested in knowing if the engine itself was actually turning over. Bonnet up, someone in cabin, watch the engine when they release their foot from the brake?

It couldn't be the clutch unless you've noticed that the car doesn't move when you're driving it - a clutch that slips that badly wouldn't transmit much power into the gearbox. However, it could be the case that you just have the car towed everywhere and haven't told us - but if you're actually driving it and the clutch seems fine, it's not a slipping clutch.

First gear is 4.692:1 which is higher than reverse (4.260:1) but many complain that first is too tall for these cars. I can't disagree, I've driven a few manual D40s and they need a little clutch feathering to make them spritely. You could engage 4LO which would turn first gear into 12.3:1 - if the car can't hold on that, then either your compression is shot (that should be tested if in doubt) or you're parking on something that's really too steep to park on without wheel chocks.

On that latter point, what I used to do with my VW Kombi (crappy brakes, engine compression something like 2:1 and a total of 12.5 dpp (dead pony power, significantly lower than horse power) was park the car facing down the hill and point the steering wheels towards the gutter, then let the car roll forward until the gutter became a wheel chock. Suffice to say that I never had the car roll forward on me, but I always had fun and excitement trying to get it back up the hill (the car always ran slower in the morning due to the additional weight of the dew that had settled on it).

So I've just noticed that my 2010 D40 ST when parked on a very slight incline will creep down the hill ......

are you sure its turning the wheels and not sliding down the hill. there is bugger all weight in the rear end.

a lot of it will depend on how much angle. the yd25 is lowish compression for a diesel. probably best to engage 4wd low range.

I've parked on a very steep hill and left my car in gear with no handbrake to see what will happen, as steep as it was, every 15 or so seconds it'd lurch forward after the compression had slowly dropped low enough for it to crank. Keep in mind this was just about the steepest driveway I'd ever parked on, I'd sometimes back down it in low to save the brakes it was that steep.

This is on a 2014 Nav with fuel economy <10L/100km around town most of the time, so unlikely to have compression issues. So I guess you can't expect the pressure to remain in the cylinders to stay in there indefinitely, it's gotta leak out eventually. Piston rings aren't a perfect seal.

Happens to mine aswell, only on fairly steep inclines, the motor is actually slowly cranking over. did a compression test and all was normal

So I guess the moral of the story is that we have parking brakes for a reason. All engines leak down eventually.

Latest posts

Back