Longer crank, rough idle and white smoke.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Converge

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a small problem with my 2012 D40 Nav, the issue is that sometimes during a cold start it will crank for about 3-5 secs longer, blow some white smoke out and idle rough for maybe 5 seconds and then all will be fine, it's done that maybe 4-5 times in the 2600KM it's done.

Anyone else having this issue or have any ideas?

It's not a consistent problem so I don't think taking it to the dealership will help at this point in time.

I noticed the same thing on Very cold mornings like 4-8 deg. Not on normal temp 10 deg up. I never noticed it until i went to a very cold climate.
Only 1-2 sec longer. but rough idle for a few seconds and a Bloom of white smoke, then perfectly fine.

So being temp dependent i would say that one of your glow plugs are a bit lazy. as mine never did this at any other point hot or cold back at home. Only in the very cold of mornings at my dads.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you start to notice poor fuel etc. Then it may be fuel related.

p.s mine is a d22 zd30. not yd25

I noticed the same thing on Very cold mornings like 4-8 deg. Not on normal temp 10 deg up. I never noticed it until i went to a very cold climate.
Only 1-2 sec longer. but rough idle for a few seconds and a Bloom of white smoke, then perfectly fine.

So being temp dependent i would say that one of your glow plugs are a bit lazy. as mine never did this at any other point hot or cold back at home. Only in the very cold of mornings at my dads.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you start to notice poor fuel etc. Then it may be fuel related.

p.s mine is a d22 zd30. not yd25

Yea mine is pretty much exactly the same as yours, the only thing I notice is when cold, there is a lack of power if trying to go up a hill.

i had the Nav at Mt Hotham for a week of negative temps mine took a little bit extra to get going prob 3-5 turns though pretty sure it was just because the battery was suffering in the conditions so was turning real slow.

White smoke in a diesel is unburnt fuel, can be caused by low compression, very cold air temps causing incomplete combustion etc. If you are not in a cold climate get a compression test first.

second glow plugs after thinking about it a bit more - common symptoms for it.

Last edited:
Just for the fun of it when the glow plug light goes out repeat the process.(Heat the glow plugs twice.)Could be that you haven,t got the winter blend diesel.High cloud point

Latest posts

Back