Japan vs Thailand D22's

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxb01

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just a quick question that I've searched for and not found the answer.

How do I tell a Japan made Nav vs a Thai built one?

From the ones I've looked at i've only come across 1 that has "made in Japan" stamped on the ID plate. The rest have had nothing.

Ideally from what I've read Japan ones are better built- Would you tend to agree/disagree??

Thanks for your help.

All D22's built from 2009 onwards are Thai I think.

Also VIN number starts with a J on the Japanese built ones.

Look at the tailgate.

The Japan ones have a big handle.

the Thai built ones have a small handle.

i think thai built's have dual batteries? While I think of it, does anyone know why the 2 batteries?

You'll find that question answered in many threads. The most subscribed theory seems to be that it's down for the colder conditions in the northern hemisphere. Try search for more information.

some 2011 d22s were made in Japan due to the floods in Thailand. The Jap d22s have a couple of differences. They have the black painted roll bar, they do not have the wiring loom for the second battery and they do not have the sound deadening under the bonnet. I traded in my2008 d22 on a Nov 2011build Jap d22, apart from a different radio they seem pretty much the same.. The new one seems a bit more nimble on the road, engine seems exactly the same but clutch and gearbox seem a bit lighter to use? Might just be an age thing, the new one might just be a bit tighter. The 2008 d22 had a bull bar and canopy, new one does not so it is obviously lighter. Same car really. One criticism, the new one had a very strong chemical smell, the plastic smell inside made my eyes water and made me feel sick, had to leave the windows open and had to scrub all of the internal surfaces with a damp chamois to lessen the smell. Have not been able to find out much more about what might be different about the two. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The windscreen wipers being made in japan thing is crap, as my thai built has made in japan wipers.

Easiest and most failsafe is check the VIN. JN1 (i think) is japan, MNT is thai. These will be the very first three letters of the vin.

Yes the tailgates are flat on thai built apparently, however i noticed a D22 the other day which was 2.5L but with ribbed tailgate. Might have been an 08 model or something??

Dual batteries will tell you it is thai built as also stated.

Anything up to and including 2006 is japanese made.

Hopefully this all helps.

You'll find that question answered in many threads. The most subscribed theory seems to be that it's down for the colder conditions in the northern hemisphere. Try search for more information.

so that implies no Jap built d22's will be shipped to Europe, USA --or for that matter Japan......it snows there too guys.....puts that theory to bed

Latest posts

Back