Is this a good deal?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm thinking of getting a new 2012 d22 str.
I have been offered $39500 with 12 months rego and on road costs stamp duty etc with the following options fitted
Snorkel
Roof bars
Soft Tonneau cover
Underlip tray liner
Cruise control
Dual battery's
Arb steel bar and 9000lb warn winch
Towbar kit
Remote keyless entry central locking
rubber mats
Cosmic black paint

Does this sound like a good deal?
And they are offering 8.15% max on finance over 3 years
Cheers guys

Hey mate I just bought a new nav too

EOFY sale,
I bought a 2011 limed edition (jap build) D22
brand new for $29K
so you just goto ask yourself if those mods are worth it,
me guess is

Snorkel; $400 plus install
Roof bars; dunno
Soft Tonneau cover; $500???
Underlip tray liner; I paid $325 i think install myself
Cruise control dunno
Dual battery's; $600 maybe?
Arb steel bar $1500ish
9000lb warn winch $2200 ish
Towbar kit $400???
Remote keyless entry central locking i did a mongoose system, was about $400 installed
rubber mats $40, but I got em cheap i think
Cosmic black paint dunno.

Some of my prices might be wrong, theres guys here who know there stuff better then me, but its my guess

mmmmm..... You can get the car as a stock unit for $30500 drive away with ABN(which is a load of BS, you dont need it really)
so basically you are going to pay $9000 for the accessories you have listed, which i think you could do a bit better on if you push them.
Personally i think you should be looking at closer to 6k for all that fitted, so i would tell them $36500 or you walk.
You could also ring or go to another dealer and see if they will "match another dealer" who has given you that price, if they do then back to your dealer and see if they can match the "genuine" quote you just got. Well that has always worked for me anyway.

What Nathan said is correct. I've brought enough cars in my life to know that the first price they give you is not the best price. If you hagle with them you will get it a lot cheaper and if they really want the sale they will do almost anything to get it..

when I got mine earlier in the year I looked up the price of the genuine accessories on ebay as there are a couple of Nissan dealers selling parts on there. I told the dealer I knew he could match that price and needed to work a "package" price on the labour side of things.

Maybe try the same, but it does sound a little expensive to me.

Based on the real prices of those accessories to the dealer and how much they pay an apprentice for in terms of labor to put them on, they are taking you for a ride to the tune of about $3-4000.

I had a dealer once tell me the D22's they only make money on selling people loads of accessories, I thought it was BS but maybe its true...

be careful with finance to, $39500 over just 3 years is a shitload to pay each week... not to mention I bet they have heaps of hidden charges.

Last edited:
get some quotes for all the gear you want from ARB etc and see how much they tally up to.
Sounds a bit rich, I wouldn't pay that from a dealer.

For example, a Nissan supplied canopy is $3080, from ARB where Nissan get their canopies supplied and fitted just around the corner from them, $2650 fitted.

Well It seems vehicle prices in the eastern states are much cheaper from what I have found by a few searches, well I tried a few other quotes and other dealers came to 40+k when I told them I was looking for around 38500 but they said its not gona be possible and they didn't sound very interested, so I'll go back to the place where they offered 39500 and see if they can drop it by a grand. Either way I'm purchasing one tomorrow! I've had enough of haggling:)

start lower mate, you don't tell them what you want to pay straight up.

tell them like $37000 or something, when they say oh we can't do it, get up walk away say your going elsewhere but then come back like 5mins later and say "if I bought today whats the absolute best deal" the idiots should take the bait.

My local Nissan dealer (sunco Nissan) here in QLD is selling white ones for $28990 so you can use that as ammo to fire off at your guys, say you are in negotiations with an interstate dealer who is offering a much better price or something.

Last edited:
if your dead keen on getting one straight away, i would do the deal over the phone with one of the eastern state dealers an tell them they need to fly you in to pick up the car. You might even find that they are willing to go a little further and arrange delivery for a small fee.

I'de call around before putting down my hard earned cash, but thats just my 2 cents worth!

Well It seems vehicle prices in the eastern states are much cheaper from what I have found by a few searches, well I tried a few other quotes and other dealers came to 40+k when I told them I was looking for around 38500 but they said its not gona be possible and they didn't sound very interested, so I'll go back to the place where they offered 39500 and see if they can drop it by a grand. Either way I'm purchasing one tomorrow! I've had enough of haggling:)

Mate if your happy then go for it, But as i said earlier you should be able to do better, ALTHOUGH it does involve a little trickery and also you will have better luck at the end of the month as the sale commission is paid monthly so the salesmen are usually more willing to do a deal at the end of the month to bump up their cash flow.

I would be going in and speaking to the sales manager and saying you have been quoted X amount and will they beat it or at least match it and throw in a bonnet protector and some mats if you buy or sign a deal on the spot, if not you go to the next one.
I bet if you do that at a few dealers you will get a better deal.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted im keen to here the results.
Nathan.

Most of the comments here are spot on. I just wanted to comment on the finance side of things. You should be able to get the finance for under 7% on a new car. If the dealer can't do it, a local finance broker should be able to. To back this up, I have a file on my desk where customer is buying a new Falcon ute - his finance rate is 6.5%. Finance is what I do, and 8.15% is too dear if you are in a reasonable financial position.

Nath is spot on (surprise surprise :ha:) The bargaining power is in the add ons.

You can argue the cost of a car all you like with a dealer they know what they are prepared to drop to for the basic car before you walk in the door and that price wont change dramatically between dealers. A salesman is not there to move add ons he's only there to move cars he doesn't give a shit about the cost of addons it's a separate department and he needs to show each car going on the door at a cost not including the add ons.

They will also tell you how you have bargained their left butt cheek off and their third kid will be going without school shoes this year because when the boss sees the deal the salesman made he will have a tanned arse.

So once you get a price for the car you then play with their fanciful figures for addons. Don't be ridiculous and tell them you want $1500 worth of stuff for nothing because even through the buying public is suppose to be too stupid to realise that they could easily afford to do such a deal it's a game you can't win.

Once you have their costs of the add ons add half the cost they claim them to be worth to the lowest price of the car and then tell them that's your offer. They will then counter, you stand firm, they will then try a sob story on you and go and see the dealer principal. The salesman and the principal talk shit in the hope you think they are talking about your deal, the salesman comes back with a counter offer. If it's close to your offer tell them you aren't changing your mind. If you wish to play the "dealer principal" game again feel free but it's not necessary. If you are arguing less than $1000 get up and walk out if you make it to the door and they haven't called you back go to the next dealer, but chances are for less than $1000 they wont let you get to the door. Salesman hate seeing the backs of people so once you head for the door you are a loss so stand firm you'll get your deal.

If the first price you come up with gets met with reluctance and the salesman doesn't even try the "dealer principal" game walk out and reassess your price at the next dealership because it was unrealistic.

Bargaining with sales droids is a game you can never win, you can only draw but it really pays to play the game and atleast ensure that it's not entirely a win for the salesman.

My local Nissan dealer (sunco Nissan) here in QLD is selling white ones for $28990 so you can use that as ammo to fire off at your guys, say you are in negotiations with an interstate dealer who is offering a much better price or something.[/QUOTE]

same in sydney, mate bought a white newy last week for 28something. i know what i'd be doing!

The 8% finance is a bit high aswell on a new car..... my local nis dealer in brissy is advertising 1% on all new cars..... the price seems all right but id ask about the finance

@Krafty..

your comment is like watching sports tonight. Play by Play!

I hate the spin they pull.. when I bought my nav, the principal dealer told me they make no money on my new car and they will lose money on my trade in....
I kindly told him, that if that were the case, and it were his business model, I don't think the dealership would be open in another 6 months

Mine told me they make so little that the owner was selling there 370z that was sitting in the show room for sale. Oh poor didums got bit shitty when asked you sure its not cause its been rear ended and repaired. He said he could garantee me it had never been in an accident or repaired even though it had over spray marks on the tail lights and i know the panel shop that fixed it. Long story short there a bunch of lias

I've done the new car shuffle a few times over the years, in fact 3 of my cars were bought purely because I had this odd desire to go and annoy a car salesman and then decided to buy instead of just haggle. Strangely enough though the first car salesman I annoyed in each instance didn't end up with the deal.

I actually come from a long line of salesman selling a lot of different things and it makes no difference what you sell the game is always the same. It's no longer enough to sell ice to an Eskimo you need to sell him the fridge as well.

The idea that a salesman has to go to his principal to make a deal is in itself stupid, if that monkey in a suit is not qualified to make the sale by himself and know exactly what his margins are then why the hell has he got a job. It's done purely to make the buyer feel like they are screwing the goose.

The "we make no money" is nearly as good as the "invoice plus $1" sales companies have, seriously if people are stupid enough to believe they are only making $1 a sale they deserve to be ripped off.

Latest posts

Back