Internal waste gate

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calcal

Reaction score
hey guys,
i know in performance jap cars you can block off the waste gate to get that nice dosing sound....can we block the internal waste gates on the navaras??

cheers

Don't need to block the wastegate to get a dosing sound.. Just née long cooler
Piping and a throttle body. Won't work on Navs cause the electrically controlled intake doesn't shut up straight away there for the air has to to escape back into the intake before going back out the turbo. Its called compressor surge Which is technically very bad for you turbo.

I know how he feels. Coming out of a clean VZ commo myself with 5 gs worth of sound, suspension as low as possible and as much wheel and as little tyre as possible.
It's a different world, a much better one.. I would like the Nav to sound like a 4.2 but that'll never happen

Mate the roads are that crap around here you damage 17,s let alone anything bigger. Suppose I,m not a fan of dump valve is it

Trust me I know bad roads... I smashed probably 8 sets of front 245/30/20's in that commo. And another 8 sets burnt out plus about 14 sets of stockies. I lost count after a year

Turbosmart do a bov for diesel wich wont give you dose but will give the psss sound. also know as the mateing call of the wanker :-D needs an electronic controller thry supply aswell to operate properly

Blocking the wastegate will not give you any noise, all it will do is overboost the shit out of your turbo doing bad things. Unless your thinking of a "screamer pipe" which is done by external wastegates, that vents exhaust gasses straight into atmosphere.

Bov's are actually bad to use on a diesel as there is no throttle body it just wastes compressed air which is beneficial for response and can keep the turbo spooling.

BOV on a diesel is not hard to do. just need to change the spring, rig up some vac solenoids and micro-switch on accelerator and clutch.

ZD30 has an intake butterfly and same with some versions of the YD25.

BOV is not bad for a diesel, just very limited gains to be had with a stock engine.
the boost in the intake does not keep the turbo spooling, it slows it down as it tries to go back through the turbo, which no longer has drive on it due to the lack of fuel. also boost is not required by the engine as there is minimal fuel going in.

unless you cannot get rid of the intake butterfly, i wouldn't bother with a BOV. to expensive for very little gain.

Bov gives you no gain period. only gain is a shit kent noise even on high hp engines having a bov does not make it spool quicker due to not having compressor surge.bov are only somewhat useful on bush bering turbos as compressor surge over a period of time can cause wear. with ball bearing turbos it will not get this excessive where from compressor surge. the gain you would pick up on any engine with a bov would be that miniscual that you could not even record the difference. there a great invention for people that like attention and for the companys selling them. Waste of time

I can understand having them on a performance car IE: WRX, EVO's, SKYLINES ETC but not on four wheel drives. I saw a Holden Colorado that looked like it was set up for bush with big wheel and lift kits and all then I heard the BOV and well to say I lost my shit would be an understatement I absolutely pissed my self laughing. But everyone has their own opinion on them

compressor surge is known to snap compressor wheels. i would not be worried about the wear.
the whole point on bov on petrols is to stop the turbo slowing or even stalling from the pressure reflected back from the throttle butterfly. turbo diesels do also run butterflies in the intake and often run much higher boost than stock petrols. so why wouldn't a bov benefit a diesel?

i do know guys that do run them on diesels and they do reduce lag during the gear changes.

snapped compressor wheels are usually cause from overheating. compressor surge may make it fail but it was destined to fail anyway if it does. lag reduction is nearly non existent in my experiences

wait till you have an old gutless diesel that runs a largish turbo, especially when its wound up to its limits.

Latest posts

Back