IDEA - smal toolbox in tray for aux batt - will it work

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan96

Reaction score
Hi all

At the moment I have my AGM in a plastic battery box in the tray. Held in place by surf straps.

I was going to make something like the quick sketch in the attached pic out of wood then carpet it like drawer systems.

But would a tool box work. I think there might be a problem with the opening being too small to be of any use?

approx dimensions 1320x400x300

Attachments

• side drawer.jpg
    side drawer.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 130
Can't see why it wouldn't work, you will need some ventilation though and like you say there isn't much room left afterwards for much else to go in there.

should work, i had the second battery in my old nav in a toolbox, had some holes for ventilation and never had an issue with that

my second batt is in something similar i have the batt on one side and the compressor on the other matching boxs works fine for me not much else you can use the space for

my second batt is in something similar i have the batt on one side and the compressor on the other matching boxs works fine for me not much else you can use the space for

Hi Marvin does your 2 toolboxes extend over the wheel arch? Is this space "usable"

Did you get ones from super cheap etc - or made up like shonky's work?

I wont need vent holes because I have a sealed AGM batt

i made them my self did not try and use the space above the wheel arches not much that i can think of that you can use it for. the one with the batt in it has a second space for a little bit of storage fridge power cords extension stuff etc and the one with the compressor is just the compressor and the tyre inflation gear. really cant think how much gear you could put above the wheel arches. my suggestion is make them yourself i think mine may have cost a hole 50 bucks including carpet maybe 75 that way you can do it exactly the way you want it. and i dont have vent holes in mine and i just have a normal batt no real issue. i can prob take some photos if you like and try and post them

i made them my self did not try and use the space above the wheel arches not much that i can think of that you can use it for. the one with the batt in it has a second space for a little bit of storage fridge power cords extension stuff etc and the one with the compressor is just the compressor and the tyre inflation gear. really cant think how much gear you could put above the wheel arches. my suggestion is make them yourself i think mine may have cost a hole 50 bucks including carpet maybe 75 that way you can do it exactly the way you want it. and i dont have vent holes in mine and i just have a normal batt no real issue. i can prob take some photos if you like and try and post them

No real issue with no vent holes? :stop: Pretty sure its illegal for starters, and bloody dangerous. If it was sealed it would probably be ok.

Making your own box is satisfying, but I bought a metal cradle on ebay for my D40. Sits on the drivers side rear wheel arch , holds a battery box and the agm battery. All neat and tidy.

Hi Guy's just to chuck in my few cent's worth.
In preparing for a trip I have done a lot of research with regards to battery types and requirements. With AGM batteries I am assured by one of the "manufacturers" that venting is not an issue as the contents of the battery "Acrylic Gel Matting" (AGM) does not emit any form of vapour when under charge. Like Nathan 96, I too am building "cubby holes" at the rear of my tray to house the batteries (one on each side) with Anderson connections running inbetween the inner and outer panels to the cab area (shrouded in foam for protection against chaffing and rattling) the split charge unit and the RAP's system for the Waeco will be mounted on the rear cab wall behind the rear seat back rest (the whole seat is coming out to make a storage area for the Waeco, generator, and other bits and pieces). Also gonna put an in-line isoltor from the split charge unit prior to going out to the batteries.....just for added safety. "IF" you are concerned about venting Nathan 96, why not use a simple venting valve that you can buy from a boat yard or your local BCF shop that can be fitted through the rear inner wing that protrudes into the wheelarch area and vents to atmosphere. Anyway, good luck with the project.

Latest posts

Back