high pitch noise in tranny ???????

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausie1

Reaction score
I have a high pitch noise between 2900 to 3050 rpm under load in 1st and 2nd while accelerating is this something that happens with 1993 D21 2.7 diesels 4x4s.
I am inclined to think bearing some ware around the input shaft, any help would be appreciated
Cheers

Likely an bearing in the gearbox starting to go. Perhaps the lay shaft? If so, you will hear it in all gears bar 4th (which is straight through)

If it's any consellation, mine started to go a couple of years ago and is still working, although getting noisy. I do tend to keep it in fourth though, so I;'m not using the lay shaft

Likely an bearing in the gearbox starting to go. Perhaps the lay shaft? If so, you will hear it in all gears bar 4th (which is straight through)

If it's any consellation, mine started to go a couple of years ago and is still working, although getting noisy. I do tend to keep it in fourth though, so I;'m not using the lay shaft

thaks mate that sounds about right

Just took her for a drive and no noise to start with then as the gear oil warmed up the noise increased,next step is to get the wife to drive while I listen with a long handled screw driver as a sthescope with the gear lever boots off hopefully it will be the front bearing

Have found the problem, pulled the box out as the noise was getting worse in all gears from 2900rpm on and had developed into a screech type of sound.
It was the input shaft bearing spinning in the housing as the alloy support wall between the bell housing and box is too narrow to hold the bearing properly resulting in bearing spin after the bearing started to get a bit worn. I will renew all bearings in the box as the kit was only $265.50 plus gst, this time the bearings will go in with Loctite 638,
Found this on utube probably started the same way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxkOKb6R3mM
Cheers

oh and Scotty is your info on the cross from personal experence lol

Back