Help engine just stopped!!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotchya,how do you tell if there is water in the diesel?its done about 370ks since I filled up,don't know if that changes anything.

have the wires plugged in is one way..... lol
or, drain the filter into a clean container and have a look, if you just undo the little white wing nut have the container under it.
It doesnt matter if its a plastic bottle just make sure its clean and dry, if you leave it sit for a minute you will see it separating into layers, water on the bottom fuel on top.

Last edited:
Lol yea wires would help.ok,I'm on my way back now with my tools and a elec tester,will look at everything everyone has mentioned and see how I go,cheers

Check the relays. Heard of GU's not starting after a relay has stuffed up.

What age ?

Ok so I've ruled out water in fuel and I reset the ecu,where are the sensors I should check??,checked the one at the front near the alternator and the one that's on the turbo outlet pipe.also if i somehow got one of those diagnostic scan tool would that tell me what's wrong??cheers

The crank angle sensor will be the main 1 to stop it.

The air temp sensor, MAP sensor and the coolent temp sensor I doubt would stop it.

The injector pump wiring will stop it and a fault in the pump will stop it.

Any strange noises before it stopped ?

Ignition barrel faulty ?

Food for thought to.

Has it ever had a Chip ? Chips that scotch lock onto the Spill valve wire can damage the wire to the pump.

Broken wire will easily stop it from running.

Yea it's got a chip,where are the wires that you are talking about?and where's the chip?sorry avent had the ute too long.
Cheers

Good point dave.

If you look at at the top right hand corner (looking at rear of pump) you will see 4, 2-3mm black wires. Well they are covered in a woven sheath.

Its hard to find, take off negative battery, then remove the main earth wire, and assorted connections to make it easier, and push all the main wiring looms towards the battery to open the space up.

The top right hand wire sitting in the corner is the spill valve wire. That's were my chip connected to. (chipit). Yours may be different? If yours has the same setup you will clearly see the scotch connecter.

I can definitely see one of those clips wearing through the connection, it will be one of the first things i would check if my car did the same as yours.

Just open the connector up and look for separated wires.

Ok so I didn't have time to sit out in the bush and fault find myself as much as I'd like to do it myself so got it towed back to a mechanic and they looked at it and scanned it and the camshaft isn't turning so most likely the timeing chain shock pisses me off to no end because 1 the engine has only done 30,000 (replaced by last owner as he got water in his tank) 2 because originally my mind went to timeing chain but then that didn't make sence as I thought it would give me a bit of a warning and 3 when I cranked it to see if it would start again there is a decent chance that I've done an excellent job of fucking the engine (mechanic said something about piston hitting valves or something. So good chance of needing a new engine.will keep you all posted to let you know how it goes.
Cheers for all the help

Fingers crosses its just a chain and guide replacement and that the extra cranking didn't bend any valves or cause piston damage. Seems very strange that the timing chain would let go at 30 thou.

Pretty unlucky to have a timing chain shit itself like that - specially in such a fresh engine. Here's hoping its not the case!!

The more I read about zd30s the more I dislike them, I bought an 03 single cab navara for my son and just discovered the ballance shaft bearings laying in the bottom of the sump. Makes me sad to know a company like nissan can use such a second rate powerplant for one of their models. I have an 88 patrol tb42 petrol just ticked over 350k nevver misses a beat. Unsure what to do now with the nav, wont be paying 6-10k for a new zd30 thats for sure. anyone wanna buy a great ute with no engine. lol

The more I read about zd30s the more I dislike them, I bought an 03 single cab navara for my son and just discovered the ballance shaft bearings laying in the bottom of the sump. Makes me sad to know a company like nissan can use such a second rate powerplant for one of their models. I have an 88 patrol tb42 petrol just ticked over 350k nevver misses a beat. Unsure what to do now with the nav, wont be paying 6-10k for a new zd30 thats for sure. anyone wanna buy a great ute with no engine. lol

mate i had an 06 D22 with the Zd30 it done over 370'000 with out a problem what so ever, just serviced it every 10k and it was still going perfect when i sunk it, it actually kept running for quite a while when it was roof deep in water!! lol

yea i dont know ay,you will always have the engines that just dont cut it and should have never left the factory with every model,yes some more than others but i think that comes down to care of the engine for its whole life,someone doesnt look after it right for 10000 at the start of its life could dramaticly reduse its life,then you buy it at say 120000 and you get stuck with all the problems.
im just hopeing my luck has turned this time as ive already done the turbo,injector seals and clutch.not to mention all the small shit,wheel bearings,leaf springs,all control arm bushings,drag link, idler arm,fan belt pully,rear brake pads.

Shit mate (apologise for the French) that sucks proper balls. Probably not what you wanted to hear right now, but I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying that the entire Forum has sympathy for you. Reckon you'll keep the Nav and fix her up?

Cookey.

sounds like its been a nightmare.

common trap for engine builders is the pin on the end of the cam shaft. if its not torqued correctly they snap the pin and the cam gear spins on the cam shaft.

yea its pretty shit haha,but if i dont laugh ill cry.well i had a 98 pajero as my first 4x4 and started to do that up before it drowned, someone dug a hole on a track i go through once a week or so another metre deep trying to get there stock 2x4 hilux out.anyway after that went i couldnt justify starting again so i bought the nav which had a few small things done with the idea of keeping long long term.
so since i got it in feb in regards to upgrades ive done calminni uca's,tough dog 300kg constant load springs,32" bighorns,2x 9" and 2x11" HIDs,idler arm brace,EGR mod,80 series airbox,dual battery,excedy HD clutch.
long and short off it ive put some coin into it.so im going to put it down to the previous owner had no F@#$&@G idea about looking after a 4x4 and keep my faith in the nav as i love it and really want to keep the mods going,especially because my nav has turned a good couple blokes i know from buying patrols,hiluxs and cruisers to buying navs,and good couple more jelous haha.
also the amount ive fixed i have more new parts than old almost haha.

Latest posts

Back