Has anyone had coolant in the oil from an oil cooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The j man

Reaction score
Just put back the engine after I rebuilt it its a 2009 yd25 bought it with a cracked head didn’t run, after fixing it had a few problems with boost pressure, fixed that then I noticed oil in the radiator, then there is coolant in the oil as well, I took the hoses off the oil cooler and used air to clean it while it was on the car, I blocked off the coolant hoses and ran it and had oil coming out of the coolant hose area, so thats where the oil is coming from, there was no pressure in the radiator as the caps were off to get the air out and I looked and couldn’t find any information on having water in the oil just oil in the radiator, I’m taking the oil cooler off tomorrow has anyone had this with there car ? Also has anyone blocked off the oil cooler and not used it ? Just until I get the new one in the mail

I've had mine connected incorrectly by a mechanic, which destroyed the auto box that he'd just repaired then claimed no responsibility.

You COULD run the car without an oil cooler at all but I wouldn't push it too hard, and I certainly wouldn't tow with it. Don't do it for too long either.

Water in the transmission can cause major problems in there, make sure you get all of it out.

I was led to believe it was primarily designed for heating the oil up quicker. Many recommend bypassing it to avoid the common problem you experienced. I did it years ago and have not had any problems. Mind you, I don't do heavy towing. With heavy towing I expect it's role would be for both heating and cooling and if I intended towing a caravan then I would have the part pressure tested and reconnected

From memory, the oil and coolant are separated by the central bolt in the big silver cooler assembly,

A couple orings to replace (or gasket compound) and she should be good to go assuming its not cracked

However no idea how much coolant you would lose taking that off, it is low on the engine

In D40 there can be a problem with the bottom of the radiator getting a crack which puts water into the transmission and destroying the computer in Transmission (Auto). I bypassed the radiator, fitted a secondary oil cooler. I tow a small caravan everywhere without a problem.

Latest posts

Back