Greetings Everyone

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extended

Reaction score
I have a 2006 3L STR Navara dualcab with 453 mm chassis extension. I tow an offroad trailer with camper cabinet and rooftop on the trailer. I will soon take delivery of a cabinet for the back tray. I am quite pleased with the the performance of the vehicle - been to the High Country and several Simpson Desert trips. The rear suspension is HD leaves with airbags and ridepro shocks. The front suspension is HD torsion bars which are wound up to 50 mm, a very solid bashplate as well as dual 75 L fuel tanks. I was able to achieve this by having the exhaust placed above the split tailshaft and one of the mufflers removed. The alternator has been upgraded to 120 amp which suppliers plenty of amps when needed.
The only concern I have is that when we are towing and am sitting on 80 or 90 kph the gear stick and transfer lever plastic cover becomes very hot which has been puzzling me. I have consulted several experienced mechanics and travellers and so far I have been told that this is a common complaint and is a characteristic of this vehicle and that the heat may be due to friction and heat transfer and that the TJM bashplate may be blocking air flow over the transfer case which in turn may be causing excess heat exhaustion.
If anyone would like to add any comments to this please do so. I would be happy to enlarge on any of the mods. I have had done.
Cheers Extended.

Welcome mate. Keen to see some photos, specifically of the chassis rails where the chassis extension was done, and the exhaust. My stock truck's gearstick and transfer stick get hot depending on weather, it's not uncommon. I'm glad to hear you can fit the exhaust above the tailshaft, do you have a body lift to fit it or it fits without? What diameter is the exhaust?

Welcome mate. Keen to see some photos, specifically of the chassis rails where the chassis extension was done, and the exhaust. My stock truck's gearstick and transfer stick get hot depending on weather, it's not uncommon. I'm glad to hear you can fit the exhaust above the tailshaft, do you have a body lift to fit it or it fits without? What diameter is the exhaust?

The chassis was cut approx. under the door pillar - Cassis tech. Adelaide did the job. Molnar engineering made the chassis rails and fishplates for the rear end. - The rails were sleeved inside then a filler plate fitted and an outer plate - all spot welded and stitch welded. I don't have a lift kit. I think its just a 50mm exhaust. I'll take some photos and post them in the next few days.
Chers,
Extended

Welcome aboard. You could throw some pics in the garage, that'd be neat.

Not sure I'd be fussing to move the bash plates, no point weakening them. I wonder if some ducting could be fitted to direct air up and into that area. Could this have been a design oversight, that allowed hot air to accumulate under the vehicle (hot air rises)? The ducting would only have to mount beside the gearbox and turn 45degrees up, it'd catch enough to clear the hot air out from there while moving.

I know my Commodore did that too, and my Navara does get warm around the centre tunnel but as it's an auto I don't notice it as much. I might investigate the addition of some aluminium ducting under there myself. No point cooking the transfer case!

Welcome mate.

Sounds like a good set up, I imagine the turning circle is terrible.

A standard D22 is like a bus with its turning circle.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back