fuel economy improvements for D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nernstie

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Have recently come back from a trip around NSW moving my girlfriend. During the trip I was a little concerned about my fuel consumption. On the way down on an unloaded ute I was getting 11L/100km when travelling at 100kph. However when traveling at 110kph, my consumption increased to 14L/100km. Once loaded up the fuel consumption wasn't much difference. I could understand a higher fuel consumption on a loaded truck. It concerned me a little. For example I filled up in Cobar and made it to Broken Hill with a fuel light on 456Km at 110kph. From Sydney to Armidale (where i stopped for lunch and refill 467km at 100kph and still had a a 1/4 tank left and could have ggone further (probably Glen Innes easy)

So I guess my question is, I'm now looking at exhaust and chips to improve fuel economy, is doing these mods going to help with this issue?

Currently looking at roosystems chip and exhaust packages. Ironman have recently released a 3" big bore exhaust (anyone heard anything about them?) with a chip it chip or a beaudesert exhaust with a chip it chip.

All opinions and advice welcomed as the more I read the more confusing it gets

Cheers

2.5 or 3 l. If 2.5 makes me less concerned about my fuel economy your loaded km to the tank sound about right for my ute towing my work trailer. By the way I couldn't tell you the consumption doing 100 Kmh as that is only a number I pass on the way to 110 115 I usually travel at... On the freeway only of course. Ben

My Nav is a 2003 cab chassis...I have had it since new and the fuel light comes on almost every time at around 480ks,that's with about 500 kilos of work gear...I put a 3" exhaust right from the turbo trying to get better fuel economy and now the light comes on at about 480k's so it did nothing other than more noticable power.
I towed my camper to Darwin and back,it weighs about 900k,and I got about 350k's out of a tank.
I constantly hear of people getting 700+ out of a tank so I am watching this thread with interest...I am also thinking of an inter-cooler and chip...

Cheers...Sparra

some more details would help, otherwise its a "how long is a piece of string"

whats on the car? bullbar? lights? roof basket ect

what model ZD30 or YD25?

how many KM?

when was the last time you ran some injector cleaner (they do work by the way)

Also, what tyres are you using?
My fuel consumption is much worse when I have the muddies on, they're like driving with the handbrake on compared to the standard 'no terrains'

I have a 2010 model YD25. Accessories fitted are Steel bullbar, tigerz winch with dynema rope, lightforce gensis lights, towbar, alloy tray, and a 2" lift with efs shocks and leafs by zordo.

The tyres I'm running is Cooper S/T maxx 24/75/r16

I've done just over 44000km. The truck had its 40000km service done day before leaving on the trip

Hope this helps in sheding more light on the subject

cheers

best way to get good fuel economy is have no mods or accessories and run 255/70/16 highway tyres on the alloy rims and try to drive around economically.

i was getting 9l/100 which included freeway driving and stop start city driving.

remember everything you add, bars, roof racks, tyres will increase fuel consumption.

I have a 2010 model YD25. Accessories fitted are Steel bullbar, tigerz winch with dynema rope, lightforce gensis lights, towbar, alloy tray, and a 2" lift with efs shocks and leafs by zordo.

The tyres I'm running is Cooper S/T maxx 24/75/r16

I've done just over 44000km. The truck had its 40000km service done day before leaving on the trip

Hope this helps in sheding more light on the subject

cheers

with those mods your usage sounds about right, the nav is not very aerodynamic to begin with but alot of those mods make it significantly worse.

"Steam has an expansion rate of 1700 to 1. One square foot of water at
150 psi at 366F will expand to 1700 square feet of water vapor at 0 pressure" - Steam power

Theres no reason not to use a methanol/water injection system on your truck. Cant argue with that expansion rate, Methanol will also help your diesel burn crispy clean. This could only help, right?

My fuel observations with my Nav are:

Stock standard YD25 750-800 km per tank. Best I ever got was 820k but was running on fumes.

After fitting ARB steel bar, ARB rear bar and canopy. Km's went down to 620-640km per tank

After fitting a 2.75 in Beaudesert exhaust system I gained back 80km's per tank. So back up to around 720km's per tank.

All these figures are taken from a full tank till the fuel warning light comes on and almost always fill of 64.4l to full again. This was done weekly over many months and it was very consistent. But once I hook up the camper and load the back up a bit it all goes south to an average of 440km's per tank.

Hope this helps.

So will installing a chip and exhaust help and improve this?
that all depends how heavy your foot is, more power means more fuel however your motor will develop said power easier so you don't have to give it as much throttle to get up to speed so it sort of works out slightly better in some circumstances.

So will installing a chip and exhaust help and improve this?
exhaust will.
chip depends on driving style and setup.
only way chip makes it more economical is it gives you more torque so you stay in the higher gears for longer. but if its pouring in to much and not burning it well enough you can end up using the same or more fuel than before.

the other factor is the more power you have the more you tend to use it. you drive faster and use more fuel.

oh god no! not roo systems :suicide:

under no circumstances think about let alone buy anything from roo systems seriously mate some stones are better left unturned.

safest option is to get a steinbauer chip and beaudesert exhaust, notice I said safest not the one that will get you maximum power.

I'm still getting 9l /100 with all those mods and a canopy as well as towing an 800kg work trailer every day.
A chip will make the economy worse as it uses more fuel to get the extra power.
An exhaust will improve fuel a tiny bit but not noticeable.

Best way to get good economy is drive it smoothly and go easy on the revs.

Yeah I thought I was going pretty smoothly on the accelerator pedal. Only ever put my foot down when passing big trucks. The thing that got me was what a massive difference it was between only 250rpm. At 100kph my truck sat at 2500rpm and 2750rpm for 110kph. Thought 3-4L/100km for a small change in revs was a bit much.

its more to do with drag coefficients, you need x amount of power to push a shape at Y speed through the air, goes up quite quickly the faster you go to so the engine has to use more fuel to push the car along at 110 then 100.

Its why some cars top out their speed before reaching the rev limiter in top gear, the engine hasn't got enough power to over come the drag and rolling resistance.

Last edited:
its more to do with drag coefficients, you need x amount of power to push a shape at Y speed through the air, goes up quite quickly the faster you go to so the engine has to use more fuel to push the car along at 110 then 100.

Its why some cars top out their speed before reaching the rev limiter in top gear, the engine hasn't got enough power to over come the drag and rolling resistance.

Its those theories that Bugatti had to overcome to make it possible for the Veyron to reach 431kph and why they needed 895kW to do it, and only takes 12minutes to empty is fuel tank

Last edited:
speed makes a big difference. can't remember the term but double the speed equals quadruple the air resistance.
as utes have horrible aerodynamics really compounds it.

i remember we towed a small shed on a trailer. we put it on by hand so it wasn't heavy, but the drag it made meant we where full noise on the flat doing 80km/s in the D22.
that gives you some idea of aerodynamic drag is like and why manufactures spend big $$$ getting it right.

Latest posts

Back