Fabricating Bullbar

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrip89

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just wondering any information about fabricating a bull bar for a d40 navara. The legal aspect and also any idea or tips people have about it. I am capable of the work bending welding etc... , was thinking of making a steel bar and a radiator bump plate, powdercoating them black also.

Cheer
Harri

We've made bars for a number of vehicles over the last 20 years and they used to be as easy as design the bar, design the mounts and make sure everything fits the the vehicle but now days airbags and ADR's change things a bit.

I really haven't kept up with all the design rule changes however it will pay for research ADR's, roads corporation rules in your state and probably talk to an engineer about what is and isn't legal. Also notifying your insurance once the job is done is a good idea that way they might pay out of it if it's every damaged.

Ta.

Thanks gents, from what I can tell its more effort then its worth. I dont want to void any warranty, or my insurance owell start looking for a cheapie then.

D40=Utility=Commercial vehicle=no airbags required.

I'm bound to ruffle a few feathers here but i'm pretty sure on a commercial vehicle you aren't obliged to have airbags, have heard a few stories about people not having to put airbags back in commercials when they've deployed.

I'm thinking of doing something similar at the mo for my 550, but will start with a D40 Bar and modify the cantre bit to allow airflow to the intercooler, like everything, bugger all time though

but i'm pretty sure on a commercial vehicle you aren't obliged to have airbags

You are required to have all the safety equipment the vehicle (commercial vehicles included) was originally fitted with - it may only be an option but if it was an option fitted to the vehicle (and the manufacturer would have this information in their system) it needs to be installed and working.

If in doubt ring your local Department of Transport and ask their opinion!

D40=Utility=Commercial vehicle=no airbags required.

I'm bound to ruffle a few feathers here but i'm pretty sure on a commercial vehicle you aren't obliged to have airbags, have heard a few stories about people not having to put airbags back in commercials when they've deployed.

Yeah that's right.

ADR69 Full Frontal Impact Occupant Protection - demands that vehicles meet requirements for the protection of anthropomorphic dummies in crash tests. Manufacturers can meet this requirement any way they want, but the most common option for manufacturers to meet this requirement is to use airbags. ADR69 applies for NA category (goods vehicles) with a GVM of 2700KG or under - which means it doesn't apply to any model of 4x4 Navara currently for sale.

HOWEVER, poke your head under the bonnet and check the list of ADRs on the compliance plate to be sure. Check what each ADR is and confirm that it doesn't have anything to do with impact protection.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back