Engine sound

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quinny0410

Reaction score
Hi guys.
New to this forum,and I must say what a great site.
I have a question about a engine noise that I find strange.I have a 2008 STX petrol,auto,Spain built.when I start it first thing in the morning it's got this strange whining that sounds like I have a supercharger under the bonnet,lol.once the engine is warm the noise goes but not totally.I have had the car for about 3 weeks now.is this the normal sound from the petrol motor.
Cheers

Welcome to the forum.

If the whining is more squealy than whistly then it could be an idler pulley bearing or alternator bearings, or even just the belt itself. My belt squealed like a stuck pig until it was hit with some dri-lube.

Jump onto YouTube mate and search - nissan frontier timing chain whine. Compare there noise with yours. I'm a petrol as well and some early vq40's had secondary timing chain issues, hopefully it's not that. And rule out belts and tensioners first as oldTony says.

Do any of you guys know if Nissan have put out a recall on these secondary timing chains.mine does sound a lot like the one in the YouTube vids.I suppose it's not a cheap fix.

Car goes in to my local mechanic on wednesday to check whinging issue.confident its a timing chain issue.will keep you all posted.

Got the car back yesterday and a $2790 bill.noise is gone and the car is running great.main chain and secondarys replaced aswell as tensioners and a few other things that come with the kit that is supplied by Nissan.my mechanic seems to think that Nissan do these on a regular basis due to the fact that all parts are in stock and selling in kit form.it's a shame Nissan Australia haven't come to the party with these chains as Nissan america has.

Quinny0410 said:
Got the car back yesterday and a $2790 bill.noise is gone and the car is running great.main chain and secondarys replaced aswell as tensioners and a few other things that come with the kit that is supplied by Nissan.my mechanic seems to think that Nissan do these on a regular basis due to the fact that all parts are in stock and selling in kit form.it's a shame Nissan Australia haven't come to the party with these chains as Nissan america has.

How old is the car?

2008 with 51000km.not much kays at all for something like this to happen.but hey,we live in an era where things are not ment to last.

mine's just started doing this unsure of what it might be, It only seems to do it under load when in gear and at the same engine revs 1800 and up no matter what gear your in, when its in neutral you hear nothing' any thoughts

Latest posts

Back