Electrical People - PLease look

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch92

Reaction score
G'day

Browsing ebay and cae across a few things that tickle my fancy. They are crimpers for cable lugs. Saw the following two types. What are poeple opinions? I have used both types at work, however i am looking at the two links below for me personally, for personal stuff. It wont be used every day etc, just for shit at home.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4mm-70mm...Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item1e7570c921

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-50mm-E...Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item20ce4205da

Thoughts?

Like the hyd jobs nice price too ..have some workmates who have them types, the dies are cheap tho do the job

My thinking was for that price, specially when it won't be used "proffesionally", that why not, but thought i'd seek opinions incase someone has one.

I dont expect top quality for that money.

I've got the second one, works a treat. Done a heap of crimps with it and no probs at all.

Plus claimed it on tax :p

o
My thinking was for that price, specially when it won't be used "proffesionally", that why not, but thought i'd seek opinions incase someone has one.

I dont expect top quality for that money.

Yeah...get the hyd one....might get one too when I get back him...have the manual jobs already... I to didn't think much of the hyd jobs but I have used some that workmates have bought and they do the job...like I said tho the dies are cheap but do the job

i use the second one more than the hydraulic i cbf pumping and if it gets too hard i use the cordless crimper :cool:

Hey Mitch

Take it from me, go for the hand operated ones. I am an Electrical Cable Jointer by trade and we use hand crimpers like that for stuff up to 70mm2 often and have hand crimped up to 120mm2 with biger hand crimpers and I have experience with electric and hydraulic crimpers up to 680mm2. If doing stuff around the house/car/boat you won't go above 70mm2 and they don't require much force. The hydraulic crimpers you had there look cheap and nasty and don't have industry standard type dies so you would have trouble finding dies to fit them if you needed a different size.

Cheeres

I totally agree with Peter. the hand operated ones are far superior on cables upto 120mm2. and for home use, you'd be hard pressed needing anything above that anyway.

steer clear of the hydraulic crimpers.

Hey Mitch

Take it from me, go for the hand operated ones. I am an Electrical Cable Jointer by trade and we use hand crimpers like that for stuff up to 70mm2 often and have hand crimped up to 120mm2 with biger hand crimpers and I have experience with electric and hydraulic crimpers up to 680mm2. If doing stuff around the house/car/boat you won't go above 70mm2 and they don't require much force. The hydraulic crimpers you had there look cheap and nasty and don't have industry standard type dies so you would have trouble finding dies to fit them if you needed a different size.

Cheeres

But have you used any of the type pictured

I totally agree with Peter. the hand operated ones are far superior on cables upto 120mm2. and for home use, you'd be hard pressed needing anything above that anyway.

steer clear of the hydraulic crimpers.

I can disagree....have used name brand hand crimps like pictured with the
Spinning dies and have ended up with crimps that are offset and with 3 crimps along the lug ending up like a bannana

The hand crimpers look to be similar to the CABAC brand ones that I have used daily for 7 years and they are bullet proof. I normally used the ones that go to 120mm2 with longer handles but have used the 50mm ones too and they are good. I have used plenty of hydraulic hand crimpers but not those ones, they are botom of the range gear and would be more hassel than needed for crimping such small lugs. Hand crimpers can't go wrong and will last a life time but hydraulic ones have seals that will perish and leak.

I can disagree....have used name brand hand crimps like pictured with the
Spinning dies and have ended up with crimps that are offset and with 3 crimps along the lug ending up like a bannana

You probably have warped a good set by missuse or you have selected a die size too small which will lead to a bend in the crimped lug barrel.

Hey Mitch

Cheeres

I too have used both types at work. Plus we have the battery hydraulic one, however as said this is certainly not for that work.

I'm thinking i may go the Normal ones, but must admit i am half tempted to buy one of those cheap hydraulic ones as well just for shits and giggles to see how it goes.

I've got the same set of crimping tools I bought as an apprentice about 16years ago, still going strong. Just be mindful to use the correct crimping tool for the type of crimp lug you're using (insulated/uninsulated), and get the correct size.
I've been thinking about a set of hydraulic crumpets for use in switchboards (hard getting 95mm ++ cables to play ball in confined space).
For general stuff around the car etc stick with the hand crimpers

Latest posts

Back