EGT Probe install

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baylock

Reaction score
Hi, quick question for those in the know, i should be able to install an EGT Probe in this bolt hole (After proper drilling and tapping)??

Thanx in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20130925_155859.jpg
    IMG_20130925_155859.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 293
is the for a 3l? im interested it see how u go with this. ive installed the egt gauge just not the probe

i dont know if you'll be in the stream of the exhaust gas there all the time mate, unless ur probe is long enough to reach down pass the waste gate. might get a lot of fluctuation i reckon

Or this one??
Lot harder to get to tho with the drill.

Also, does anyone have a picture of the back of the turbo off a ZD30??
Just so i can see what the positioning of the waste gate is like??

Thanx.

Attachments

• IMG_20130925_155904.jpg
    IMG_20130925_155904.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 261
i dont know if you'll be in the stream of the exhaust gas there all the time mate, unless ur probe is long enough to reach down pass the waste gate. might get a lot of fluctuation i reckon

10mm for the thread, and about 21mm from the end of the thread to end of the probe.....
think ill be ok??

Mount it in the Exhaust manifold not the dump pipe!!!

That was the original idea, and as much as i would love to do that, and have nice close to 100% accurate temps, i dont want to run the risk of anything braking and flying into my turbo, and based on my research so far... the risk is too high for me at the moment. Thankyou for the suggestion tho.

can someone please also explain to me why i cant just tap into the dump pipe and install it that way?? it looks like the walls are about as thick as those on the manifold.

You can tap into the dump pipe and many people do, but a lot of people don't recommend it as you can get fluctuations in readings.

I was advised to install it on the exhaust manifold either "just before" or if I had to "just after" the turbo. I did the just after. People reckon it makes about 200C difference (cooler) for a probe after the turbo than before it. The car is parked at work for a few days so I can't take a picture of it at present, but can over the weekend.

I understand but don't use a cheap thermo-probe and they wont break.
I think a 600 odd dollar turbo is cheaper insurance than melting a 6-10g engine.
Ive had mine in there for 20 thousand with temps up to 650 sustained.
You will be forever guessing with the dump pipe probe.
Just trying to help. EGT is everything in a diesel

everyone seems to freak out about the "tip" falling off. the tip, where the two different metals joins are inside a stainless steel tube on nearly every egt i've seen. so some how you have to melt through the tube and melt the tip off. i don't see that happening before you've done some serious damage to the engine first.

stainless doesnt melt until like 1400, so even if it got soft and dangerous for the turbo at 1000, your engine is going to be near cactus at those temps any way.

i've installed bulk thermo couples and RTDs into steam turbines, boilers, oil heaters and heaps of other processes and i've never seen the tip of a rtd or tc come off. RTD and TC aren't anything new and our use for them is hardly an "extreme" location for them. I think into the manifold and safe option. As lawry said, buy a good one, one with a stainless steel tube and you'll be safe as houses.

My probe has been in the manifold for ages now and i pulled it the other day while i was looking at stuff and it was fine, dirty, but fine. gave it a quick wipe and put it back in.

this is all just my thoughts on it and in the end its what you see as an acceptable risk i guess.

Oh well, that didn't go well, couldn't tap the dump pipe. Couldn't get the drill in, couldnt get the 90deg attachment in, and after a lot of screwing around failed to achieve the goal. will have to try and hit the dump pipe with some penetrating oil on my next days off and see if i can crack the nuts that way... tho i think i might just throw some money at someone to do it for me.

When I did mine in the dump pipe I cut most of the end off a drill bit and it just fitted with the dodgy 12v cordless drill I used at the time, lol. I just used the hose clamp method as the long term plan is a new dump pipe which would have a fitting in it or tap the manifold before the turbo.

In saying that the clamp has been on there for over 2 years now and its still hanging on fine with no leaks...

Back