Dual Battery Install D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D40Craig

Reaction score
Hi All,
Was thinking were to install a dual battery in a D40 dual cab with a drop side tray. I'm thinking in a aluminium tool box behind the rear wheel, right hand side. The box would also house the compressor. Any thoughts?.
:cheers!:

Make sure there is airflow and plenty of room. Batteries shouldn't get hot but in the event they do they need space to cool and at the very least they need air ventilation during charging.

Plastic box may be better as any gasses given off by the battery can attack soft metals. Plus it insulates the whole thing incase the battery comes loose and shorts on the aluminium . ?? Think Tip Top make the poly ones

Not sure how much offroading you do, but behind the wheel is susceptible to damage. My preference would be a AGM in a box tucked right up underneath near the cab. But not something to difficult to get at for maintenance of terminals etc.

I'd use an AGM battery as well, make sure it's securely clamped in place. Small vent holes would be required just in case it does release some hydrogen.

Make sure you use large cables to deliver power from the front and fuse both ends of the positive line. The isolator (I assume you will use one) should provide some protection as well, but I like to be safe.

Thanks Guys, I guess a plastic box would be better corrosion wise. Daughter works at BCF and they have some Marine ones that look the goods. Could always put an alloy or stainless sheild as a stone guard as I do a lot of work in far-western NSW on dirt /stoney roads.
Cheers.

definatly in a plastic enclosure with a stone guard if your going to mount it under your tray and i would highly recommend its before the rear wheel rather than behind it.

I just welded up a frame to fit the battery on no box or enclosure behind drivers side wheel no where else to fit it on the kingcab it is the same one i had on my last ute for 6 years have not had a problem yet.

here it is on my hilux not to flash but does the job dont have any pics on nav

Attachments

• 162736_488471697504_582892504_5646493_4608108_n.jpg
    162736_488471697504_582892504_5646493_4608108_n.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 201
I made a frame up for mine that sits directly above the rear axle. Very tight fit but you should be able to sort something out easily, it depends a lot on the height of your tray. (mine was quite low) I have a 100 ah agm in there with my 12/12 charger.

I then ran power back to the fuse box set up for easier access to power.

See pics. If you have any questions let me know.

Cheers
Brian

Attachments

• DSC04692s.JPG
    DSC04692s.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 243
  • DSC04691s.JPG
    DSC04691s.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 231
Have a look in my garage, my King Cab had the battery in a toolbox in front of rear RHS wheel, fit in snug, never had a drama with it except fitting as I measured it a bit tight.
Oh yeah, I insulated it pretty good to be on the safe side too

mine was installed by ARB with the tray bolted to the chassis on the drivers side..free's up the tub space but worried about water and mud..we'll see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back