Dawes valve on zd30 navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BP90

Reaction score
Hey guys
Will a dawes valve work on a zd30 navara? I know they do on a zd30 patrol for their variable turbo. And i understand the zd30 in the nav has a wastegate controlled turbo. Im askin because i just bought a dawes valve as i was under the impression that they were like a bleed valve only they dont 'bleed' the air into confusing the wastegate into making more boost. So i thought the dawes valve would be the way to go as i read up on them about how they can smooth out the boost curve, hold boost longer and help to reduce lag.

However since it showed up the valve itself has 1 inlet and 2 outlets (in the form of a t piece) which most/all bleed valves only have 2. I had a look on the website given for instructions. And its for a zd30 patrol, but it has diagrams or where to connect the valve to but includes a vacuum solenoid etc. which makes me think it only works on variable vein turbos like in the yd25 d22 and the d40s.

Although the dawes valve was originally made for vw golfs etc and i found a website saying there was 2 types, the first for golfs with a wastegated turbo and then those with a variable vein turbo.

Does anyone know whether or not 1- i can still use this dawes valve to fit up to my zd30 navara and 2- Will it actually work if i can get it fitted?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Bart

it won't as is.
however you can mod the dawes valve.
the dawes valve is nothing more than a ball/spring boost controller but without the tiny bleed hole. so add the bleed hole and fit it as per normal manual boost controller.

i think they sell one and hve pics etc on how to hook it up.

like these

http://www.turbosmart.com.au/product/boost-tee

http://www.turbosmart.com.au/product/in-cabin

someone shoot me if they wont/dont work on diesel navs!
also i would deff be intercooling before uping the boost bart!!

bryan

Yeah bryan im not guna up the boost till after intercooling it atleast. But i got it cause the 3bar racing rekon that the time to peak boost is improved, theres 'More boost "area under the curve" for increased mid-range torque!', and you can ofcourse alter the boost.

The one i got is pretty well the same as the one in the link although it has a t piece end. So if i blocked off one of the sides of the 'T' with a silicone vacuum cap then just put the valve inbetween the turbo housing and the wastegate actuator and then it should work like the one in the link shouldnt it??
Bart

Why bother ?

I still have the stock turbo on mine. 261,000km's and still going strong.

If it blows, Ill put that GT2560RS on that I haven't had time to do.

The one i got is pretty well the same as the one in the link although it has a t piece end. So if i blocked off one of the sides of the 'T' with a silicone vacuum cap then just put the valve inbetween the turbo housing and the wastegate actuator and then it should work like the one in the link shouldnt it??
Bart

no.

as mentioned before there is no little bleed hole.

if you use the dawes valve the boost will go through to the waste gate but that boost will remain trapped in there holding the waste gate open and you will end up with no boost as the waste gate is stuck open.
thats why they have a tiny bleed hole, to bleed off that trapped boost which allows the wastegate to shut again.

so you either drill a hole in the unit or fit a T between the valve and wastegate and fit a small tap or a cap with a tiny hole in it.
either way you have to have someway of getting rid of the boost inbetween the valve and wastegate.

ball and spring type MBC keeps the boost from reaching the wastegate untill it high enough. the reduces wastegate creep. it makes it get up on boost quicker.
really handy on diesels that sit at high boost at cruise.

And the nav doesnt sit on high boost at cruise?
Also how does the car get rid of the boost (with standard setup) without any bleeed hole there? Like you said if you had the valve there the boost would get stuck and the wastegate wouldnt close so you would have no boost. So how does adding a valve make the boost get caught up between the valve amd the wastegate?

Sorry for all the questions, its just by reading everything on the page for the 3bar racing basic boost controller which is a ball and spring like you said, it would work. But then reading what your saying tweake and it wont work.

Im not trying to say either is wrong because i dont actually know, just trying to understand it all.

Bart

Last edited:
And the nav doesnt sit on high boost at cruise?
Also how does the car get rid of the boost (with standard setup) without any bleeed hole there?
because as standard there is no one way valve (ball and spring) in the line. boost in the wastegate line simply flows back to manifold.

3bar racing basic boost controller is what you want.
the dawes valve they make is the basic boost controller but without the little bleed hole.
so dawes valve will not work but the basic boost controller will.

correct me if i'm wrong, this is how i understand the two.

bleed valve- you regulate how much boost you release into the atmosphere. so the more boost u release the higher the boost is need to push the waste gate open. i've tested this using a small smc air regulator. worked but was shit to tune and was a waste of boost really.

ball and spring. the boost comes in and hits the ball, which is under pressure from the spring and how much you wind the dial down on the spring to up the pre tension. once there is enough boost the ball gets pushed open and floods to the actuator opening the waste gate. as soon as the boost drops, (foot off the pedal), the ball shuts off and the remaining boost between the ball and actuator bleeds out.

make sense? i think it does. please correct if i'm wrong.

exactly that, easy as.

i think the story goes that bleed type are easier to tune on petrol engines. ball and spring can boost spike. however on a diesel its a bit different as engine doesn't rev up like a petrol and boost spike doesn't harm a diesel.

to really confuse things a few manufactures, like turbosmart, are a combo of the two. a ball and spring under light tension with a bleed valve.

because as standard there is no one way valve (ball and spring) in the line. boost in the wastegate line simply flows back to manifold.

3bar racing basic boost controller is what you want.
the dawes valve they make is the basic boost controller but without the little bleed hole.
so dawes valve will not work but the basic boost controller will.
[/QUOTE]

so you said here that the basic boost controller by 3bar has a bleed hole and thats why it will work and the dawes valve wont work.

their basic one isn't a bleed valve, its ball and spring ! ! ! :banghead: :banghead:

and then you say that the basic boost controller isnt a bleed valve even though you previously stated that it has a bleed hole unlike the dawes valve???????

how is it not a bleed valve when it does have a bleed hole to 'bleed' the boost??

i am very aware that both are ball and spring and not bleed valves. but im getting confused by what your saying when first you say the basic controller has a bleed hole but then its not a bleed valve. Especially when 3bar themselves state on their website that the basic boost controller is not a bleed.

Bart

Latest posts

Back