D40 STX550 V6 - P0089, P2293 and P1820 Error Codes

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtomicBill

Reaction score
Hello to all fellow D40 owners, first time poster here!

Re Nissan Navara D40 ST-X 550. Build date is Feb 2012, Vehicle first registered July 2012.

Unmodified, only accessories are, canopy, Tekonsha brake controller.

2 owners, I am the second owner, bought vehicle Feb 2017 with 92073 km. Vehicle currently has 183252 km on the clock.

Currently experiencing an issue where it just stops and wont start. It’s been into the local mechanic and the codes registered are P0089, P2293 and P1820.

They did their best, got it started again and tried to reach out to Nissan Aus, including the local dealer, who were of no help!

So any ideas, suggestions on the combination of the 3 codes? Before I head to an actual dealership for further analysis and $.

In the interest of completeness and for others interest, here is the full repair history since I owned by me (most recent last).
  • Nov 2017 – 100 km service.
  • Feb 2018 – Engine light, EGR air/fuel codes, induction system cleaned, EGR cleaned (112349 km).
  • Feb 2018 – Engine light, EGR replaced, system reset (112621 km).
  • Jul 2018 – Service & rego (120882 km).
  • Dec 2018 – Service (130307 km).
  • Jan 2019 – AC compressor failed and replaced (133276 km).
  • Jun 2019 – Service, new intercooler fitted & rego (142622 km).
  • Dec 2019 – Service (152073 km).
  • Feb 2020 – Engine light, water in fuel codes, steering sensor codes (158068 km).
  • Jul 2020 – Towed to garage, no fuel pressure. Suction control vale replaced, serviced & rego (163488 km).
  • Nov 2020 – Service (170224 km).
  • Dec 2020 – SRS light, airbag spiral cable replaced (170224 km).
  • April 2021 – Engine light, EGR cooling codes. EGR cooling pump replaced (179702 km).
  • June 2021 – Breakdown, restarts eventually, crank angle sensor codes. Sensor replaced (182212 km).
  • July 2021 – Service & rego (182699 km).
  • Aug 2021 – Towed to garage, codes P0089, P2293 and P1820. Fuel filter change, SCV and delivery lines checked (183252 km).
I’ll be honest, probably now looking to change vehicle which is a pity considering I have enjoyed most of my time with the Navara. It’s covered a fair chunk of East Coast, Aus across all road conditions!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Welcome to the forum!

That's a colourful history!

Two of the error codes are related (P0089 and P2293 are both pressure regulator codes) but the third code is unrelated. I'm not going to address the first two because the solution to the third will probably fix the lot (if my guess is right, and it isn't always).

One of the causes of P1820 is a faulty ECU, or a faulty ECU harness. This includes the earth point for the ECU. With an erratic earth, the ECU tends to draw extra power through the connected sensors and all sorts of random stuff starts happening.

I haven't seen this before in a STX550 - it's usually been a problem with YD25-engined D40s from around 2010-2014, but it doesn't mean this can't happen to your car. The earth point for the ECU is painted during vehicle construction and the bolt that holds the earth wire in place doesn't get a clean connection to the vehicle body. This results in the ECU "shopping" for earth all over the place providing lots of fun random errors. Find this point, clean it, reset the error codes.

I wouldn't just do that though - it's often (very) the case that dirty battery terminals and dirty negative lead connection to the engine block also cause issues like this. Give everything a good clean, and then reset the error codes.

These cars are normally pretty good. It IS possible that you've got two faults at the same time, though. If BOTH fuel pressure regulators are showing errors then it's probably something in common between the two - and that's either:

* Dirty fuel filter
* Blocked (see note below) fuel lines
* Faulty fuel pump

All are possible (one bad batch of fuel will do it).

Blocked fuel lines may not be "blocked", it could be air. The usual way to figure it out is to put a clear piece of hose in the system (attached to the output of the filter, usually) and start the car. Bubbles will be visible in the hose indicating a source of air entering the fuel system. In these cars, fuel is sucked up from the tank to the engine by the pump, but the filter is at a high point, which provides us with other clues when there's a leak - usually hard morning starts.

If yours starts ok in the morning, it's more likely a blockage - possibly in the fuel pickup in the tank (happened a few times recently to members here). There's also been a failure in the primer.

A bad batch of fuel - water in the fuel or running the pump dry - can damage the fuel pump but let's not go there just yet!

There's a few things to try, anyway. I'd go the electrical route first because it's free and quick and more likely the cause of the problems.

Welcome to the forum!

That's a colourful history!

Two of the error codes are related (P0089 and P2293 are both pressure regulator codes) but the third code is unrelated. I'm not going to address the first two because the solution to the third will probably fix the lot (if my guess is right, and it isn't always).

One of the causes of P1820 is a faulty ECU, or a faulty ECU harness. This includes the earth point for the ECU. With an erratic earth, the ECU tends to draw extra power through the connected sensors and all sorts of random stuff starts happening.

I haven't seen this before in a STX550 - it's usually been a problem with YD25-engined D40s from around 2010-2014, but it doesn't mean this can't happen to your car. The earth point for the ECU is painted during vehicle construction and the bolt that holds the earth wire in place doesn't get a clean connection to the vehicle body. This results in the ECU "shopping" for earth all over the place providing lots of fun random errors. Find this point, clean it, reset the error codes.

I wouldn't just do that though - it's often (very) the case that dirty battery terminals and dirty negative lead connection to the engine block also cause issues like this. Give everything a good clean, and then reset the error codes.

These cars are normally pretty good. It IS possible that you've got two faults at the same time, though. If BOTH fuel pressure regulators are showing errors then it's probably something in common between the two - and that's either:

* Dirty fuel filter
* Blocked (see note below) fuel lines
* Faulty fuel pump

All are possible (one bad batch of fuel will do it).

Blocked fuel lines may not be "blocked", it could be air. The usual way to figure it out is to put a clear piece of hose in the system (attached to the output of the filter, usually) and start the car. Bubbles will be visible in the hose indicating a source of air entering the fuel system. In these cars, fuel is sucked up from the tank to the engine by the pump, but the filter is at a high point, which provides us with other clues when there's a leak - usually hard morning starts.

If yours starts ok in the morning, it's more likely a blockage - possibly in the fuel pickup in the tank (happened a few times recently to members here). There's also been a failure in the primer.

A bad batch of fuel - water in the fuel or running the pump dry - can damage the fuel pump but let's not go there just yet!

There's a few things to try, anyway. I'd go the electrical route first because it's free and quick and more likely the cause of the problems.

Thanks for the reply. I spoke to a Nissan dealer this morning and have booked it in for some analysis as it could be the fuel pump is failing!

Thanks for the reply. I spoke to a Nissan dealer this morning and have booked it in for some analysis as it could be the fuel pump is failing!

I hope it isn't - if you're paying for it. If it's under warranty that's fine, but the fuel pump is an expensive piece of kit. It's capable of creating 1800 BAR - 26,000 psi - and that comes at a stupid price. My D40 (YD25, pump produces 1700 BAR / 24,000psi) costs $4K for the pump. I'd expect the 550 to be on the high side of that!

** If you can get one. 2 years ago they where as scarce as hens teeth.. Today in Covid Country, you'd have to be looking at a 2nd hand unit from a wrecked V9x.....

Good luck, I hope it's not the pump....

Latest posts

Back