D40 service

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revkev91

Reaction score
Just wanted to know how often should i get my 07 d40 TD serviced. I was told by a mate who has one to get it serviced every 10,000k's but the place that did the service for me said every 5,000k's.

It all depends on how your drive it. Some people will religiously service diesels every 5K but they don't need it unless they are put under severe conditions (lots of dust, sand etc). Diesels are fairly resilient and will go way past 10K without servicing but 10K is an accepted medium.

In the good old days, with good old oils and good old motors, 5K was it. But these days with new oils and new motors, 10K seems to be the accepted range. What Krafty said is pretty much spot on.

Just wanted to know how often should i get my 07 d40 TD serviced. I was told by a mate who has one to get it serviced every 10,000k's but the place that did the service for me said every 5,000k's.

I took this matter up with Nissan directly....the dealer was talking every 5000km but I figured with modern technology and the hyper expensive fully synthetic engine oil (mine is an auto with a DPF) that it should be at least 10000km between services.....Nissan agreed and so too did the dealer once I broached the subject with him. The service book is misleading but makes allowance for those in very harsh conditions.

With my previous Navara (2006 D40 2.5 auto) I religiously changed oil and filter at 5k on the advice of a mechanic friend. The salesman at the time made a big thing about only needing to service every 10k but the service dept was pushing for 5k.
On the new one Nissan service says 10k and that is what I am aiming for. As Pete 22 says any good synthetic oil is good for 10k easy.

What surprises me are the UK service intervals (google it!) 18k miles for the 2.5 and 12k miles for the V6. Who is kidding who?

Services are as much about protecting their arses as it is to make the car run. Modern diesels (engines in general) will go well past the 10K and still operate fine, some manufacturers know this and do extend the service period past 10K but they also have to protect themselves.

Firstly they hope everyone gets their cars serviced at dealerships, they know a percentage wont but some is better than none and any money is good money that comes back to a manufacturer and secondly they are trying to protect themselves from warranty claims and faults and the longer they suggest the service period is the more likely problems they are responsible for could arise.

Servicing at 10k or less is definitely not about prolonging engine life.

Can anyone tell me what kind of engine your servicing agent is using in there d40 I have a 2011 ST D40 and my service receipt says there putting Castrol RX Super in it... is this the correct kind of oil as i was using hpr15 in my 2000 rodeo???

any light muchly appreciated,

I can't remember the specs for Castrol RX, but look them up on their website, then look in the service book and make sure the two specs match, if they do then the oil is fine.

i dont wanna throw a spanner in the works here, but if you plan on keeping the car for a long time id be doing it every 5000km, especially in the summer months. oil is stuffed in a diesel at 10,000km. as soon as you pull the dipstick out and it leaves an ashy coloured stain on you hand its fried. manufactures say 10,000 or 15,000 as its a good sales point. for someone who has intentions of keeping there car for only 2 years before an update would hear that an think "awsome'' i bairly have to touch this car!!! for the sake of a $100 drum of oil and a $30 filter, its alot cheaper than a new donk!!! the amount of ash an recirculated rubbish going through modern diesels needs to get out of there quick as possible.

Oil in a diesel looks second hand after 10ks, let alone 10,000ks but servicing is still about peace of mind, some are happy to do it 5K, some 10K some not at all, it's the same argument that is made between those who use factory servicing and those who don't.

At the end of the day there is no right or wrong, any engine can last longer than 10K and very few owners in this country would put their vehicles under the "severe" conditions described in the book, even those spending every other weekend revving high in the bush is not considered severe.

If Toyota can make a modern diesel that will do 120,000ks in less than 3 years used as a farm vehicle and a highway cruiser without ever being serviced (not something I recommend but have witnessed on 2 occasions now) Nav engines will be fine for 10K.

couldnt agree more with you there,
from a lubrication point of view itll still work at 10,000kms. but alot of people forget about the other large job oil plays is cleaning.(especially in a high reving diesel) in order for modern diesels to stay clean out the exhaust for emission laws theres been a few sacrifices inside the engine. the detergant in the oil vanishes after a couple thousand kms. sludge build up is easy avoided by regular oil dumps. these new tiny 2ltr an 2.5ltr diesels are going to need all the help they can get in the long run. as we ask alot from them. No one knows how these things are going to be in a few years time as production for high performance diesels hasnt even reached 10yrs yet. but all in all like you said it comes back to peace of mind.

I have been trying to get a price for the 80,000 service and they asked if my navara has a dpf filter. My navara is a manual 2007 d40 Spanish built do you know if it would have a dpf filter or not. there is a $300 difference in price.

Nah the oil used in a DPF is dearer, not $45 dearer but by Nissan prices $45 is reasonable.

However capped price servicing does not apply too all Nissans.

I don't bother with Nissan servicing myself but I remember skimming through the "fixed price servicing" booklet and the T&C's listed something along the lines of FPS only being available to cars brought within certain dates and fitting certain criteria. They offered it to me but I wasn't automatically signed up for it I had to notify them I wanted into the deal or some such thing.

If I was you I'd ring around dealers, of course if you don't want to stuff around with overpriced apprentices ring an independent, it will cost you half that price.

80K isn't even a major because from memory they don't even do the radiator (going by the book). It should be a bit more than the 40K purely because they check a few more things but it's not $800 worth.

Just over a yr ago when i put my Navara in for it's "50,000km (service due to time) when i only had 35,000km on the clock the dealer suggested i should get the Diesel Injector Service done for $195. I said i would hold off till i actually get to 50,000km and now i have should i get this done. Looking for your thoughts on whether this is worth it or just ballocks.

Latest posts

Back