D40 rear diff. Limited slip or single spinner?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobez

Reaction score
Did a search but couldn't quite find the answer i was after. About to service my front & rear diffs, but i checked the rear diff casing and it says the diff oil weights and LSD OIL ONLY, but, i noticed a big "X" has been scratched over that small panel.

I have heard different stories about factory diffs in D40's. Some have said all the Spain D40 TD's have LSD's, some have said they were fitted at random etc. Can anyone confirm?

This is annoying the crap out of me now as obviously i need to buy the right diff oil to service them.

I'd say yours being older is LSD. Simple, put a trolley jack under the diff and get both wheels off the ground. Spin one wheel by hand. If the other wheel turns the same way it's a LSD. Opposite way, open diff.

The new ones, mines a my11, they have open diffs because of the electronic traction control.

Until the traction control stuff all Spanish D40 were LSD. Only the 4x2 has an open center .However you have to look close at the center to be able to tell and both use the same oil
And almost forgot.The 4x4 ratio is different to the 4x2 ratio so unless someone did some serious surgery on your diff then if its a diesel its a 4x4 and LSD (4x2 only came in petrol )

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back