Cracked EGR pipe. What to do ???????

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beergutz

Reaction score
Took my Nav into nissan as i could hear loud screaching noise coming from around turbo around 2-3000 revs. Good news is its not the turbo but is a cracked EGR pipe, bad news it is $1,100 to replace. They are trying to have Nissan cover it but i dont like my chances as it is out of warranty. Can i take a short cut and place a EGR blanking plate to eliminate ny air pressure in the EGR pipe? seems to be a much cheaper option! Any help much appreciated.

If it were mine and it was out of warranty i would block either end with two decent plates, then throw ya crack pipe in the bin.

agreed for something that ain't neccessary, block it off and f%^k it off

1100$ buys many blanking plates

I agree too. I finally did the EGR blank and butterfly mod on the weekend and it does make a noticeable difference. Just get some 2.5mm s/s and make your own plates - block both ends of the pipes.

I'd block the thing both ends as well. Put a joiner in the water hoses and tie them off somewhere out of the way.

The hardest part will be dealing with the exhaust manifold side, the alternator is a bit close.

Nissan are taking the piss aren't they? $1100 to replace a pipe? FFS!

not sure how the D40 pipe is routed, might have to drop the engine out to be able to get at it. the pipe it self is not cheap as they are stainless (which is also why they crack).

^ So it really is a Nissan ripoff. Sounds like a not particularly hard DIY.

Would the old pipe be repairable (i.e. weld a patch over the crack) as a way of further reducing cost? That is if you dont want to piss it off altogether.

just block it off and join the water hose's together.. blocked my dads off the other day. it's got a steinbauer chip and would blow a heap of smoke. now it runs almost clean. way better.

$1100! i'd laugh and walk out.

If its cracked will blocking only one side stop the scream of do both need to be blocked?

Yep you will need to block it at both ends, other wise the gas will still enter the pipe and therefor still pressurise it.
so blocking it up at both ends is as good as taking it off, but have the advantage of looking standard and giving you way less chance of getting fined for not running the correct pollution gear.

Latest posts

Back