Cost of engine rebuild

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsdave

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had to have a 3 Litre motor rebuilt of late?
A friends motor has done a piston etc at 189000 km and he has been quoted $8500 for a 2nd hand motor with 135000 kms on it or $10000 for a recond motor by a Nissan dealer.

I would like to know of anyone elses experience in how much it has cost them and which is the better way to go.

Cheers Dave

hey mate,mine blew a few weeks back and ive done alot of looking around for a engine both recod and second hand.the reason for the reco being so high is the cost off the injector pump (thousands) if your mates injector pump is still running fine then tell him to make it clear when searching for a recod one that he doesnt need the injector pump.
in saying that the cheapest reco i could find with a pump was over 11k so 10k is a good price if it includes the pump.
in regards to the second hand one 8500 is getting quet high,i picked mine up for 4500 with 147k on it in great condition .
make sure he calls interstate sellers aswell as yes it might be up to 500 for postage but the engine price could be much better.
i got mine from SA and im in townsville,got lucky with free postage

with the best way to go would be recod but it depends how long he wants to keep the ute and weather the extra coin for the recod is worth it for him.if hes only going to keep it for a few yrs then get a second hand one with lowish ks and that will last him just fine.
if he wants the ute for a long time to come and has the coin go the recod as its almost a brand new engine

I just bought a brand new one off ebay for like 8000 or whatever... Mechanic was gonna charge me 6500 for reco... Check out thompson motor group on evay they are from shepparton

as trav said you can get create one off ebay at good prices,the big player is that pump,it can cost up to 5000 to reco a pump (not sure what the new ones are worth but i know there are cheap new ones but not sure of qaulity)
something you should factor if money is in the eqation is labour with the different engines,
a new engine will require more labour due to transplanting all the bolt ons and what not,
a recod not as much depending on what bolt ons it comes with.and a second hand being cheapest for labour as it will have almost all bolt ons on it and just needs to be connected up.for a new one my mechanic qouted 17hrs labour give or take and for second hand it will be 10hrs give or take.

hey mate,mine blew a few weeks back and ive done alot of looking around for a engine both recod and second hand.the reason for the reco being so high is the cost off the injector pump (thousands) if your mates injector pump is still running fine then tell him to make it clear when searching for a recod one that he doesnt need the injector pump.
in saying that the cheapest reco i could find with a pump was over 11k so 10k is a good price if it includes the pump.
in regards to the second hand one 8500 is getting quet high,i picked mine up for 4500 with 147k on it in great condition .
make sure he calls interstate sellers aswell as yes it might be up to 500 for postage but the engine price could be much better.
i got mine from SA and im in townsville,got lucky with free postage

Did you get that one from Paradise auto?

Did you get that one from Paradise auto?

yea mate,thats the 1.they had awsome service and even got free postage all the way to townsville!
will try to get any parts i want from them now purely due to there service.townsville has terrible wreckers

Last edited:
i blew my turbo a while back sending shrapnel every where it totally ****ed up the whole head but got it redone brandnew for $2000 i dont knw how much yours is or what youve done so good luck :)

yea mate,thats the 1.they had awsome service and even got free postage all the way to townsville!
will try to get any parts i want from them now purely due to there service.townsville has terrible wreckers

Yes, good service those folks. They're the first place I look.

Latest posts

Back