Computer reset or chip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnkathy81

Reaction score
Hi all needing some advice. Done few mods to the Navara (d40 2013 st manual) not sure if I'm needing to do a computer reset or something along those lines or possible chip so car can be tuned correctly. Have done egr block, "3" turbo back exhaust, snorkel straight pipe no baffles, intercooler hard pipe etc. Car is running great, just not sure if resetting computer is required to adjust any parameters as I'm pretty sure after installing the exhaust my fuel consumption has increased also.

Thanks in advance.

The d40 ecu reset won't make a huge difference. Getting a chip or even better a proper ecu re flash will let you make the most of your mods. Currently your car is running colder and I be leave leaner or fuel after all these mods.

Getting a tune will allow to run more fuel to bring the air to fuel ratio back up as well as fiddling with timing and boost for a notice able difference.

I have done exhaust and erg. Will be getting a tune once the cooler and new tubro go in.

The d40 ecu reset won't make a huge difference. Getting a chip or even better a proper ecu re flash will let you make the most of your mods. Currently your car is running colder and I be leave leaner or fuel after all these mods.

Getting a tune will allow to run more fuel to bring the air to fuel ratio back up as well as fiddling with timing and boost for a notice able difference.

I have done exhaust and erg. Will be getting a tune once the cooler and new tubro go in.
So when you say tune do I need to actually get a chip installed to do that? Or are they able to tune the car as it is now with standard computer?

Thanks.

You can do either, but tuning the computer leaves less things to go wrong. The cheaper chips only increase fuel rail pressure, which isn't really a good thing.

To do a tune, They plug it in a fiddle with the Ecu and tune it, will cost around 1600 bucks and include a few dyno runs. It's the best and safest way to 'tune' your car.

After installing all that gear it wouldn't hurt to do a Ecu reset yourself, I do mine every other month just so I remember how to do it.
Just remember the car is in learning mode afterwards so if you wanna gun it everywhere that's how it'll drive.

Also give the maf sensor a clean

All these can be found through the searches if your unsure.

P.s I always have a can if maf cleaner in the car.

Awesome thanks for the help might do a computer reset for now and look into just tuning the computer, prefered not to install a chip if it wasn't required.

When looking at a tune or chip I look at it like this. A chip receives sensor informations and sends the ecu and different figure to make the motor put more fuel, add boost, change timing where if you get it the ecu properly remapped they can actually change the whole map, not just add more fuel to the current map.

I could be wrong but that's my understanding.

No problem, appreciate the advice will look more into it but think I'll do without the chip, will do the computer reset for now though.

If i was just looking for a power increase and i wasnt a tinkerer id be going with the remap.nice and simple just drive in and drive out...or race out....but you need to do your homework on the guys that do your remap.

If i was just looking for a power increase and i wasnt a tinkerer id be going with the remap.nice and simple just drive in and drive out...or race out....but you need to do your homework on the guys that do your remap.
To be honest not so much for a power increase. Just feel my economy has gone a little down since I installed my "3" exhaust and got told that I should get my car tuned to suit all the mods and will help with fuel consumption. Will definitely be looking into whoever I do choose to do it when the time comes though.

When i did my 3' pipes i thought i had a power drop...not so much a fuel increase..but it felt sluggish down low..
A few chips and some other mods late and its nice a punchy again..with decent economy (when i can resist the peddle)
Tuning to include mods i believe is a very valid...particularly if you nav has gained some weight..mine is at 2400kgs now.not sure how it got that fat really....upping the power sorts most of those problems out tho.

When i did my 3' pipes i thought i had a power drop...not so much a fuel increase..but it felt sluggish down low..
A few chips and some other mods late and its nice a punchy again..with decent economy (when i can resist the peddle)
Tuning to include mods i believe is a very valid...particularly if you nav has gained some weight..mine is at 2400kgs now.not sure how it got that fat really....upping the power sorts most of those problems out tho.
Well with 3 foot pipes you would have lost low down torque hahahaha.

On a serious note, the ecu will learn by itself over time, but resetting it just helps it relearn quicker...

Yeah same boat mate, all the weight from bull bar, winch, bash plates etc.. Slows them down a bit not mentioning the 33's plus towing a tradesmen trailer. To be honest I feel with the the few mods I've did seems to actually go pretty good again now power wise but there's never enough obviously lol. I'll do some more research now that I'm understanding the difference between just a ecu flash and a installing a chip. What chip have you installed in yours camo?

Look into a windbooster john

It alters the signal from the pedal and makes the Ecu think you've pushed the pedal in further then you have, and has a number of settings wht each mode to help fine tune it to your driving style

When I throw the muddies on I tweet it up a bit and get my zippy ness back.

It's interesting you both say you felt sluggish after an exhaust, as I was thinking that latey myself..... I will wait until they stop charging an arm and a leg for a reflash before I consider doing it....

Havnt got pricing for reflash as yet but from what your saying it's expensive so that will definitely have to wait for a little. Yeah was really looking into a windbooster for it and almost got one few weeks back then got put off it. Heard good and bad about them, are they really that good and worth it?

Hi all needing some advice. Done few mods to the Navara (d40 2013 st manual) not sure if I'm needing to do a computer reset or something along those lines or possible chip so car can be tuned correctly. Have done egr block, "3" turbo back exhaust, snorkel straight pipe no baffles, intercooler hard pipe etc. Car is running great, just not sure if resetting computer is required to adjust any parameters as I'm pretty sure after installing the exhaust my fuel consumption has increased also.

Thanks in advance.

No question, get the ecu remapped don't waste your money on a chip. Horsepower factory Dandenong, talk to Matt. Results are awesome and it's power direct from the computer to the components rather than an after market chip tricking the signal after the ecu. I got mine done, go to the HPF website they have posted my dyno results which show the improvement over and above the chip I had on it. Cost is $1195, pretty much what you will pay for a chip.

Back