Cleaning Spottys

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k3vin

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

One of my spotties has dried mud all inside on the clear lens and also the reflective backing section (not sure if that describes it best?).

Unfortunately I can not pull this apart as it seems to be glued down together and can only access the inside from the bulb section. Just wanted to know if anyone has any tips/hints to try and clean it? The only obvious solution I can think of would be windex & cotton tips :S

Last edited:
I would have thought you could use a pure solvent to do it. Use something inexpensive like methylated spirits (which isn't pure) to get rid of 99% of the muck in there and then use something pure (like electronics grade methanol, or for that matter electrical contact cleaner) to remove the last bit.

Do NOT use isopropyl alcohol. Just because they put it in those swabs for an injection site doesn't mean it's pure and won't tarnish the inside of the light.

You could TRY using Windex. Works for all of Gus's ailments (you have to be a fan of MBFGW to get that one). It certainly won't hurt.

Go to woolies or coles and buy yourself a cheapo bottle brush with bristles. Nice warm soapy water poured into the assembly, and scrub scrub scrub. Rinse well. Once cleaned, leave them sitting with the hole down (not in the sun) for a day or so. Once all visible water has dried, invert them (hole side up) and leave drying in the sun for another day.

@Milkman, I wish I could, but the access hole is too small.
@doc, couldn't find a bottle brush, just went for a woolies run haha

Just an update:
- First I filled it with metho, swirled it around abit and let it sit.
- Flushed out with fresh water, didn't do much
- Filled with metho again, let it sit
- Flushed it out again with fresh water, started to get rid of most of the grim.
- Ended up cutting up a toothbrush into a shank looking device and using that to clear all the mud off the reflective part.
- Use a kebab stick, paper towels and windex to clear all the dirt of the lens.

Now at this point, no more dirt inside visible, however the lens itself looks all fogged.

- Now I have it sitting in a mixture of white vinegar and hot water.

Will leave this over night and see how it turns out in the morning. I've also heard about hot water and baking soda, I'll try that next I guess if it doesn't clear the lens.

Damn, after the long bath, still same, tried another windex round also..
:deadhorse2::deadhorse2:

Attachments

• IMG_20140213_194138.jpg
    IMG_20140213_194138.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 58

Latest posts

Back