Catch Can, opinions please.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Krankin

Just would like some opinions on using one of these as a catch can, in particular if the filter paper would allow free air circulation once it is saturated with oil??

:cheers!:

Attachments

• 100_1533.jpg
    100_1533.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 114
the filter element itself should flow ok. problem i had was oil can get blown out of the filter and get blown out the outlet. check what style of filter element it has.

watch the size from the connection going to the filter itself. often they can be very small.

I have no baffle in my catch can and the outlet doesnt seem to have any oil in it yet.
It has been installed for over a month now.

Blanked of the egr today and noticed a lot of oil and gunk going into the turbo, so i would like to install a oil catch can, provent 200 looks good but does not seem to be enough room. Can anyone recomcomend.
cheers

I dont have a baffle in mine.

Mine is a Drift brand catch can.

There's pics in my members thread.

You guys just may find more of the info you want looking up the other catch can threads

the filter element itself should flow ok. problem i had was oil can get blown out of the filter and get blown out the outlet. check what style of filter element it has.

watch the size from the connection going to the filter itself. often they can be very small.

Its a ryco R15 fuel filter can/ paper element,
in and out is 1 1/2" BSPT and the filter base has generous openings, much larger than a standard oil filter say Z24.
Would reduce the in & out down to the I think 12mm ID hose on the Nav.

Spose I can give it a trial and see how it functions.

sounds good. just check they don't have a one way valve in it.
the filter itself will be fine. i use a breather filter inside a can. the filter fills with oil and the gases just blow the oil out. the only problem i had was the oil coming out wanted to go with the gas back up and out the outlet. i put a sheath over the filter to direct the gas/oil down. that way gas had a sharp corner to go around which makes the oil drop out.

Wouldn't the catch can be more effective if it were cooler (causing the oil mist to more readily revert to liquid)?

Would it be a ridiculous thing to plumb the hoses through to a catch can mounted in front of the radiator?

Would it be a ridiculous thing to plumb the hoses through to a catch can mounted in front of the radiator?

If for nothing else, theres more room there, and I would think the longer the hoses the more the oil droplets/mist would accumilate in the hoses as well as the can,
meaning less chance of it going back through to the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as it makes sense mounting it in a cool place to condense the oil particles.
My can is mounted far yet closer than in front of the radiator and I find it effective in its workings without a baffle of any sort.
Going by that finding id find it pointless to go to the extremes of using an extra fuel filter as a catch can.
There not that expensive as you can get them for under $100 including hoses and so simple to install even a cave man can install these.
And upon purchase there is no baffle common sense would show that if a baffle was really required that it would come with one when purchased? They would have tested for it surely.

Adding baffles costs money.

I'm not sure the mainstream population has clued into what catch cans are for, yet alone what makes a good one. As a result, the "black box" that people are convinced to shell out money for can have as little or as much inside it as the manufacturer wants to put in.

I don't believe the catch can market is going to make any leaps in the near future either, so you're going to continue to see simple aluminium canisters with hose fittings and 30cm of hose included (with free O-rings!!!) for $200 or more in stores. Most of the cost of the manufacture is deciding which blue to use on the powdercoating. Most of the profit comes from people who don't know any better.

The more I learn about stuff like this, the more thieves I discover lurking behind shop counters and in machine workshops. Makes me want to get my own lathe ... now wait, I have one ...

You'd be mad to pay $200.00 for one of these. Get a $50.00 supercheap or ebay one, put your own baffles in as been done by a couple of us here, and you're set.

Why these basic units don't have some sort of filter setup in place (cost I guess) is stupid, but its simple enough to do yourself, and once this is done, they work.

It is impossible to remove all the oil from the gas stream as the droplets are on the nano scale. Think cigarette filter, the smoke still goes through, condensed cigarette smoke forms tar.

The key to maximize oil capture is temperature, surface area,turbulence and gas velocity. I have just designed and built a capture system for condensing the smoke from Charcoal reactor, so I'm gaining some real practical experience with this problem.

don't forget most are for bling. others are for racing where you are required to have a can to catch oil in case of roll over.

there are proper fully tested catch cans such as provent. but unfortunately most are designed for trucks and are to big. provent is the only one i know of small enough for small cars/utes.

I have no baffle in my catch can and the outlet doesnt seem to have any oil in it yet.
It has been installed for over a month now.

Hey Mate,

Ive just got a drift one aswell...i know you dont have a baffle in your catch can and that there is no oil in the outlet, but how do you know? did you take the hoses off and have a look? just wondering cause im about to instal mine and dont know wether to make a baffle or not.......

is any oil actually in your catch can ? and did you put and ss wool in your can?

Cheers mate
Jake

Basically yeah I checked the outlet hoses and there clean.
I have nothing in my can I installed it as purchased.
Im not sure the rate of oil that actually passes through the level indicator is a few mm above the base and the elbows are another 5-10mm up again I cant see any level indication yet.
In saying that Id be worried if i could after 2 months of driving.

Hey guys,

Didn't want to start No. 1001 thread about catch cans so though id post my question here.

Just bought a provent 200, think i know where i will install it, but it is a big mother like many have said before.

Anyhow, came across this catch can and thought i get some peoples impressions, or if anyone has used one. Two links below have the same can, first link shows the internals.

Catch Can Small Plastic - Tanks, Catch Can - DTS Diesel and Turbo Systems

And

Photos | 4WD Systems | Gear to Goannawhere

Anygood? no good? stick with the Provent?

Cheers

Latest posts

Back