Carrying water

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aido

Reaction score
At the moment I have 2x 20l plastic drums that are used for both us and the dogs drinking water. Have seen the bladders that can be fitted into the panels and they seem like a good idea but I am not completely sold on them because of possible longevity issues with rubbing.
What water carrying solutions have others come up with aside from Jerry's and drums?

Iv heard you can buy a fuel tank of the same make as your car and it will most likely fit in the same position as your standard one but on the opposite side, if thats true thats an instant extra fuel tank or if its a new tank it could be a water tank. Might need a few fixing points added but there is a lot of useless room there.

Iv heard you can buy a fuel tank of the same make as your car and it will most likely fit in the same position as your standard one but on the opposite side, if thats true thats an instant extra fuel tank or if its a new tank it could be a water tank. Might need a few fixing points added but there is a lot of useless room there.
Possible maybe but the ENORMOUS muffler takes up most of that space. Spare could also be relocated to a rear carrier and open up some more space.
Its nothing but voids underneath the tub.

If you were going to consume that water I wouldn't be tempted to use a fuel tank. Food grade plastics are different to fuel grade.

You can buy caravan water tanks as small as 30 litres and should be able to bracket them up under the tub. Run two hoses out - one to the top, one to the bottom. The tanks have an overflow built in. The lower hose can have a small (again, food grade) water pump attached so that you can deliver the water better than gravity allows.

Alternatively, get someone to custom-build stainless tanks for you. It's just a sheet metal job.

The advantage with removable containers like you are using is that if they become contaminated, or are otherwise rendered unusable, they are very easy to remove and clean and cheap to replace. Caravan tanks or custom tanks are not, on either score.

If you choose to use tanks, you can try what we do: our caravan has a pair of 59 litre tanks. At the end of each of our weekend trips, I choose the alternate tank (front tank this trip, rear tank next trip) and I pour a fair amount of baking soda in the tank for the trip home, turning on the taps to get some of that up in the pipes. This leaves fresh water in the other tank in case I have a busted radiator, or whatever other reason. When I get home, job #1 is to drain the tanks. I then flush the treated tank (and associated pipes by running the pumps) to ensure that as much as possible of the baking soda is gone.

The water in my van tastes as good as it comes out of my tap. I don't use a garden hose or one of those so-called "food grade" hoses - they're garbage, and you can taste the plastic in the water as it comes out the other end. I use a canvas hose that rolls up on a reel, costs about $130 at a good camping store.

Geez all that makes my old 20 litre Jim Beam drum a low grade water storage alternative.

Possible maybe but the ENORMOUS muffler takes up most of that space. Spare could also be relocated to a rear carrier and open up some more space.
Its nothing but voids underneath the tub.

Ul be suprised if you undo your muffler from that point onwards towards the back so only the front part of it stays the car is not any louder, and hey presto instant spare space, iv got only one straight through resignator on my exhaust and its not loud at all.

My brother's got a custom made stainless steel tank on his Hilux. It's a replacement for the rear bumper/step. He's on the farm and uses it to keep his dogs watered and to clean up when in the spud paddock. It's got a simple tap set up on one end with a slow flow. He swears by it. Dunno where he got it from though.

Latest posts

Back